War Is A Crime has launched a public campaign today to prevent the “Defense Authorization” bill that the House will vote on this week, HR 1750 that gives presidents dictatorial power to single-handedly launch wars and imprison people up without trial.
AP reports on the Bill as a partisan issue, “Republicans on the House Armed Services Committee insist the additions are not earmarks.” Alternative news sources, however, are drawing attention to the Bill establishing a US dictator.
“This legislation, Section 1034 of the worst bill ever, undoes limitations on one-man rule put in place by the U.S. Constitution over two centuries ago,” asserted War Is A Crime, a non-profit organization formerly named After Downing Street.
“This is the biggest formal shift of power in our government since we’ve had a government.”
The “Defense” Bill also includes:
- $118 billion for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that a majority of Americans want ended
- $553 billion for other military waste, (enough money to save and improve many lives if not dumped into the war machine
- Limits the President’s capacity to implement the New START agreement unless there is full funding for the nuclear weapons complex
- Bars retirement of nuclear weapons until two new nuclear facilities are completed
- Bars further nuclear weapons reductions below New START levels unless approved by Congress
- Invests heavily in a National Missile “Defense” system based in California and Alaska.
- Revives a second engine for the F-35 that the Pentagon has no use use
- Bars any transfer of prisoners from Guantanamo.
“We have military operations now in some 75 countries, and a significant war in Libya, all illegal under the U.S. Constitution and the War Powers Act,” stated War Is A Crime.
“But the worst bill ever will erase the War Powers Act, and the Constitution will simply be ignored.”
Furthermore, that significant withdrawal President Obama promised to begin in Afghanistan has been reduced to a withdrawal of a mere 2.5 percent of U.S. forces.
War Is A Crime urges the reader to “Call Congress today and tell your Representative and your two Senators:
- Enough is enough!
- End the wars!
- Bring the troops home!
- Convert the economy to peace!
- And do not pass the worst bill ever!
The toll-free to reach Representatives and Senators leaders is 1-888-231-9276.
Author of “War Is A Lie,” David Swanson is a co-founder of War Is A Crime.