Thought the holiday weekend was over? Think again because today is National Running Day! Annually held on the first Wednesday of every June, today is dedicated to runners of all types and all levels to celebrate their passion for running. While Mark Remy at Runner’s World thinks that runners should have the day off from work to recognize this amazing holiday, here are a few other suggestions to make the most out of National Running Day.
- Sign up for a local training program, such as USA Fit Shreveport. Last week they opened registration and will begin training on June 25th for the St. Jude Memphis Marathon and Half Marathon in Memphis, Tennessee on December 3, 2011. Online Registration is available here.
- Go for a quick jog during your lunch break. Okay, you might not have enough time and it might be too hot, but even if you just run a lap around the parking lot, won’t that feel better than sitting at your desk all day?
- Need new sneakers? You should be replacing them every 500-750 miles so if you’re due for a new pair, today is the day to splurge on a new set of kicks.
- If you’re feeling overly sentimental for the sport, proclaim your love of running with some “I Love Running” gear, available here.
- Have a dog? Instead of sticking to your usual walking schedule, mix it up and take your four-legged friend for a quick run today.
- Try to get your kids involved. Have them run around outside for 20-30 minutes before they settle in for a night of homework and Wii.
- Take a suggestion from the National Running Day website which offers 10 fun ways to celebrate your love of running.