Free Comic Book Day is this Saturday, May 7. It’s an annual event, and every year, publishers work with comic shops to provide customers with free comics to promote their lines, stories and upcoming releases. Some shops make the day an event in their stores to draw in regular as well as new customers. Two shops in the Charlotte area are making the day a huge deal in their stores.
Spandex City, on the NW side of Charlotte, just past the 485 loop on Hwy 16, is scheduling regular door prizes, holding a costume contest, and working with a nearby Gym to let their FCBD customers determine the winner of a “who wants to be a superhero” contest. The store keeps a friendly, lounge type atmosphere, with plenty of open space, so the event should prove fun for everyone that stops by.
Heroes Aren’t Hard to Find may be on the cusp of their annual mega-event Heroescon, but that doesn’t mean that they’re going to take it easy. Heroes makes plenty of room for these type of events, and this should be no exception. They have a long list of artists to sign comics and do sketches. The guest list currently stands as follows:
- Ian Flynn – Writer: Sonic the Hedgehog and the upcoming Mega Man
- Sanford Greene – Artist: Wonder Girl, Method Man,and Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man, 1000 and Rotten Apple.
- Cully Hamner – Artist: The Question, Blue Beetle, Batman: Tenses, The Ride, Daredevil, and Green Lantern Mosaic, and Red.
- Laura Martin – Color artist on Astonishing X-Men, Planetary, Secret Invasion, Thor and The Stand.
- Budd Root – Creator of Cavewoman.
- Bridgit Scheide – Creator of The Kindle Kind and Brother Nash.
- Chris Schweizer – Creator of The Crogan Adventures.
- Andy Smith – Artist on X-Men Legacy, WWE Heroes, and Superman Confidential.
- Brian Stelfreeze – Artist on Wednesday Comics, Jonah Hex, Batman: Shadow of the Bat, Matador and Domino.
- Matt Wilson – Color artist on Y the Last Man, Phonogram, Thor the Mighty Avenger, and Wolverine.
There is a FCBD offering Loose Ends and all three creators are scheduled to be present:
- Jason Latour – Artist: Wolverine, Captain America, Iron Fist, and Daredevil
- Chris Brunner – Artist: Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, cover artist on Boondock Saints and Nola.
- Rico Renzi – Color Artist: Yo Gabba Gabba!, Wolverine, Frenemy of the State, and Captain America. (Rico is employed by Heroes and may not be available at all times)
Finally, the local group of cartoonists, Sketch Charlotte, has put together an anthology and some members will be present to sign it and do sketches. The anthology will be free and available. (Full disclosure: the author of this article is a contributor for the Sketch Charlotte anthology.)
While all Charlotte area shops will have books for FCBD, these two shops are making the effort that the industry created event was meant to inspire: bring customers into the shops and hopefully broaden the fan base for a great storytelling medium. Please try to patronize at least one of them this Saturday.