Malbec is the perfect wine to pair with rare or medium-rare beef and the most requested wine by Calgary dads in the Vine and Dine survey for Father’s Day.
The grape originates in Cahors in southwest France and has a long and fascinating history. It graced the tables of Roman Emperors and was sold in London as early as 1225. The priests of the Russian Orthodox Church adopted it as a communion wine and Peter the Great favoured its strong tannins for the beneficial effect they had on his stomach pains.
But in 1956 it suffered such serious frost damage that 75 percent of the crop was killed off.
Malbec needs a 15° C differential between day and evening temperatures. At more than 1,000 meters above sea-level, the vineyards in the foothills of the Andes Mountains are ideal, and this is where Malbec has found its new home. It has fast become a favourite with Alberta beef lovers.
10 top Value Argentinean Malbecs up to $20.00
- Finca Flichman Misterio Malbec CSPC 757245 $12.50 Black berry fruits with sweet tannins, elegant and complex 87 points
- Trivento Reserve Malbec CSPC 730714 $12.50 Powerful blend of cherry and plum with vanilla hints 88 points
- Argento Malbec Reserva CSPC 741014 $16.00 Lush, with flavours of jammy berries, coffee and chocolate 89 points
- 1884 Reservado Malbec CSPC 770925 $16.50 Classic malbec, fresh, peppery and plush 88 points
- Finca Sophenia Malbec CSPC 718047 $17.50 Great concentration and complexity with sweet tannins 90 points
- Catena Malbec CSPC 478727 $18.00 Beautifully balanced with sweet tannins, rounded and smooth 91 points
- Lagarde Malbec Reserve CSPC 726173 $18.00 Red fruits, very smooth, soft, light and fruity 87 points
- Luigi Bosca Malbec Reserva CSPC 418038 $19.00 Vanilla, blueberry and toasty notes with nice jammy finish 88 points
- Famiia Schroeder Saurus Select Malbec CSPC 716244 $19.50 Coffee and vanilla notes with fruity and sweet velvety tannins 88 points
- Fabre Montmayou Malbec Reserva CSPC 726374 $19.60 Big, balanced, vanilla and chocolate with silky tannins 88 points
To find which Calgary liquor stores have stocked these wines in the last 3 months, go to www.liquorconnect.com/Pages/default.aspx and enter the CSPC number.
Do call ahead though before going to the store, to make sure the wine is still in stock!
*Prices are approximate and do not include gst and bottle deposit.
Save the date: October 5th 2011 will be Calgary’s 5th annual Argentinean Wine Festival! More details to come.
Make sure to click on the subscribe button for the 8 Top Father’s Day Malbec picks $20.00 to $50.00 in our next article. Love social media? Follow us on Twitter @vineanddine for updates and at facebook.com/VineandDine