The following are ways to actually have a long distance date, with hardly any money involved. Just remember this: You have an imagination, you can think of other ways to have a date that I haven’t even mentioned or even thought of, just take a minute, sit back and think about it. Prices range between $5 -$60 (Based on preference).
1. Look through your own movies: Find something you both can agree on. Now, it doesn’t have to be action, chick-flick, any of that, just something that you can both agree is a good movie. With Nikki, we both agreed with Meet Joe Black. It was a rather long movie but we could just lay there in bed, not have to dress up or anything. I wore just torn up jeans and a tee and didn’t even need to shower. That’s how simple it is!
- Also, if you want to do one of those kinds of dates, then a movie is not enough. You’ll want to add something to it. After a date, I’ve noticed Portlanders have taken their dates on a walk, discussing the movie, and various topics. This is a great method to really get to know each other and add something else besides just watching a movie and then-DONE!
- When on said walk, another great way to get to know your date is to go into a restaurant that you know, NOT one that you necessarily want to try to impress he/she with, but something that you’re familiar with. Some place where the workers really know you and can strike up a conversation with. Order something that you really enjoy. This gives your date some insight as to what you like and how you act around other people. This is a very good thing. Again, don’t try to impress he/she with what you order, just order as you normally would. As for me, I walk into my favorite pizza joint around, Anthony’s Italian Restaurant on Middle Street, in the downtown of Portland. I order my hot slice of pepperoni and pick up a Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper and chat with the workers. They are always ready to pitch a conversation. Remember that! Plus! At both of your sides upon exiting Anthony’s, you have your choice of renting a movie from Videoport, or buying one from Bullmoose. I prefer Bullmoose because of selection and the workers.
2. Netflix- I know it costs $8/month but still, it is totally worth it to watch a movie instantly with your date. They have a great selection, and you can lay down on your bed and not have to dress up or anything. I’ve had a few Netflix dates and they go pretty smoothly, so long as it isn’t too late as laying in bed with a movie going can put me out. -Even if it is a great movie!
3. Invest in a webcam- They don’t really cost as much as you’d think! Most people love the built in webcams on netbooks, laptops and such. I, personally, prefer a plug in webcam. Sure, it takes up one space on your usb but so what?! If you really care that much about a usb port then you shouldn’t be on a date anyway! In Portland, just go to one of the many pawn shops around, they’ll have a selection. I suggest: Jimi’s Trading Post, Guitargrave, and Coastal Trading & Pawn. Between one of them, you’ll find a great, working webcam for a webcam date.
- After purchasing a webcam, go ahead and get some take out, both of you! You can turn on the webcam, and if your computer, laptop, netbook or whatever has a microphone built in (like it should), then you can sit back and talk for a little while about anything. Excuse yourself when you pick up your food (I suggest Pizza Hut, Wok In, or any of the many delivery food services around), and don’t forget to tip your driver. Put on a movie or something that you both can watch, on both webcams mind you, can relax. Act like you normally do! Don’t pretend! We can all sense it!