In an interesting week of amateur boxing action, the 2011 USA Boxing Nationals Tournament Finals are set for Saturday evening, with afternoon action featuring Womens non-Olympic weight bouts downtown at the Colorado Springs City Auditorium.
Colorado’s remaining ‘Big Three’ of ‘King Louie’ Byrd (108 lbs.), John Franklin (114 lbs.), and Luvisa ‘Low-Low’ Matali (141 lbs. Female), remain in the spotlight for Saturday Finals supremacy.
In one of the strangest tournament developments, the anticipated 141 lbs. championship bout between Maryland competitors Gary Allen Russell and Mike Reed was nullified when Russell was declared medically unable to compete, while Reed was disqualified for a mouthpiece infraction, allowing Semajay Thomas (Illinois) to tangle with Thomas Duquette (Massachusettes) in Saturday night’s Finals.
Every championship bout on Saturday afternoon and evening will feature competitors who earned the right to fight for the title of 2011 USA National Champion but for those who prefer my personal opinion on what boxers may be most interesting to view, but received little pre-tournament fanfare, let’s begin with the women:
Amanda Pavone (119 lbs.) from Burlington, Massachussettes, who understands the phrase ‘throw punches in bunches’, surprise (132 lbs.) finalist N’Teeyah Sherman from Barberton, Ohio, and Franchon Crews (165 lbs.) who resides in Baltimore, Maryland, have every intent on leaving Colorado being a 2011 USA National Champion.
The men: Joet Gonzalez (123 lbs.) from Glendora, Connecticut, Toka Kanh Clary (132 lbs.) from Providence, Rhode Island, and Edgar Alvarado, Jr. (165 lbs.) from San Bernadino, California, will definitely be exciting crowd pleasers with their spirit in the ring and just like the women, plan on leaving Colorado Springs with that Gold Medal around their necks.
I think it would be reasonably fair to declare Queen Underwood (132 lbs. Female) from Seattle, Washington, as the tournament Most Outstanding Boxer for both her performances inside the ring, and her warm personality outside of it.
Semi-finalists (not competing Saturday night) will be in competition beginning at 4 PM today at the Colorado Springs Christian School campus where all previous competition has been held, and should be commended for their hospitality.
The Saturday afternoon session beginning at 2 PM for the women’s non-Olympic bouts (FREE to the public at the City Auditorium) will be followed by the 13 Olympic qualifying bouts starting at 6 PM.
The Finals on Saturday night at the downtown City Auditorium ticket prices are $20 per person and can be purchased at www.ticketswest.com with a live web telecast at www.usaboxing.org for those unable to make the trip to Colorado Springs.
Semifinal Bout Results
- 106 lbs/female: Amy Sowers, Bozeman, Mont., dec. Elizabeth Rodriguez, Gilroy, Calif., 16-10
- 106 lbs/female: Marina Ramirez, Las Vegas, Nev., dec. Lisa Ha, Honolulu, Hawaii, 15-13
- 108 lbs/male: David Carlton, Cincinnati, Ohio, dec. Gregory Outlaw, Glenarden, Md., 16-8
- 108 lbs/male: Louie Byrd, Denver, Colo., dec. Norberto Torres, Baltimore, Md., 17-11
- 112 lbs/female: Tyrieshia Douglas, Baltimore, Md., dec. Poula Estrada, Palmdale, Calif., 17-11
- 112 lbs/female: Marlen Esparza, Houston, Texas, dec. Christina Cruz, New York, N.Y., 9-3
- 114 lbs/male: Oscar Cantu, Kingsville, Texas, won on walkover over, Gabriel Montoya, Cheyenne, Wyo., W/O
- 114 lbs/male: John Franklin, Fort Carson, Colo., dec. Emilio Sanchez, Pacoima, Calif., 23-22
- 119 lbs/female: Amanda Pavone, Burlington, Mass., dec. Lindsay Bartels, Omaha, Neb., 29-15
- 119 lbs/female: Haley Pasion, Waipahu, Hawaii, stopped Nephateria Miller, New Haven, Conn., RSC-3 (1:44)
- 123 lbs/male: Joseph Diaz Jr., El Monte, Calif., dec. Antonio Nieves, Cleveland, Ohio, 27-12
- 123 lbs/male: Joet Gonzalez, Glendora, Conn., dec. Luis Feliciano, Milwaukee, Wis., 10-8
- 125 lbs/female: Heather Hardy, Brooklyn, N.Y., dec. Emily Dagnan, Jasper, Tenn., 25-9
- 125 lbs/female: Elizabeth Leddy, Portland, Maine, dec. Lori Argumedo, Commerce, Calif., 24-10
- 132 lbs/male: Jose Ramirez, Avenal, Calif., won on disqualification over Damon Allen, Philadelphia, Pa., DQ
- 132 lbs/male: Toka Kahn Clary, Providence, R.I., dec. Kenneth Sims Jr., Chicago, Ill., 23-22
- 132 lbs/female: Tiara Brown, Lehigh Acres, Fla., dec. Lisa Porter, Northridge, Calif., 13-7
- 132 lbs/female: Queen Underwood, Seattle, Wash., dec. N’yteeyah Sherman, Barberton, Ohio, 23-23 (116-96)
- 141 lbs/male: Thomas Duquette, Waltham, Mass., won on medical walkover over Gary Allen Russell III, Capitol Heights, Md., Medical W/O
- 141 lbs/male: Semajay Thomas, Chicago, Ill., wins on disqualification over, Michael Reed, Waldorf, Md.
- 141 lbs/female: Cashmere Jackson, Cleveland, Ohio, dec. Kathleen Walsh, Rankankama, N.Y., 17-16
- 141 lbs/female: Luvisa Matali, Denver, Colo., dec. Ariel Beck, Deer Lodge, Mont., 17-11
- 152 lbs/male: Errol Spence, DeSoto, Texas, dec. Willie Jones, Charlotte, N.C., 21-12
- 152 lbs/male: Luis Olivares, Glendale, Ariz., dec. Regis Prograis, Houston, Texas, 18-12
- 152 lbs/female: Amournix Stamp, Milwaukee, Wis., dec. Faith Franco, Duarte, Calif., 7-6
- 152 lbs/female: Stephanie Taylor, West Hills, Calif., won on walkover over, Diana Wigand, Lexington, Ky., W/O
- 165 lbs/female: Franchon Crews, Baltimore, Md., dec. Tiffanie Ward, Hacienda Heights, Calif., 14-13
- 165 lbs/female: Alyssa DeFazio, Peoria, Ariz., dec. Tika Hemingway, Pittsburgh, Pa., 20-14
- 165 lbs/male: Chris Pearson, Trotwood, Ohio, dec. Antoine Douglas, Burke, Va., 14-7
- 165 lbs/male: Edgar Alvarado Jr., San Bernadino, Calif., dec. Martez Jackson, Valdosta, Ga., 16-14
- 178lbs/male: Jesse Hart, Philadelphia, Pa., dec. Sijuola Shabazz, Las Cruces, N.M., 12-12 (66-58)
- 178 lbs/male: Jerry Odom, Bowie, Md., stopped Sean Bettencourt, Stoughton, Mass., RSC-3 (2:44)
- 201 lbs/male: Andrew Tabiti, Las Vegas, Nev., dec. Joseph Williams, Far Rockaway, N.Y., 8-8 (47-39)
- 201 lbs/male: Jordan Shimmell, Hudsonville, Mich., dec. James Shorter, Elkhart, Ind., 19-7
- 201+ lbs/male: Laron Mitchell, San Francisco, Calif., dec. O’Jayland Brown, Sacramento, Calif., 17-14
- 201+ lbs/male: Jonathan Hamm, St. Paul, Minn., dec. Dominic Breazeale, Anaheim, Calif., 10-8
Stephen Johnson feature writes for INSIDE BOXING.com, BORICUA BOXING.com, and UNTIL THE NEXT ROUND.com