The Teva Mountain Games is celebrating it’s 10th Anniversary June 2-5 in Vail, Colorado. This year, along with the Vail Pass Half Marathon, the Spring Runoff 10k and the Eddie Bauer Mud Run, the Teva Mountain Games is offering a new running event: The Eukanuba Rocky Dog Trail Run presented by Ruff Wear.
Participants and their pups can sign up for either the 5K run or one mile run/walk. Both distances start and finish at Golden Peak and take place entirely on trails.
“Dog trail-running races are catching on in certain parts of the country,” said Mike Imhof, Vice President of Sales and Operations for the Vail Valley Foundation, organizers of the annual event. “With Eukanuba’s growing involvement at the Teva Mountain Games and the pet-friendly atmosphere, it seemed like a natural evolution for us to add this dog-and-owner ‘team’ event to our roster.”
The Teva Mountain Games also offers three other competitions for dogs: Speed Retrieve, Extreme Vertical and Big Air WAVE.
If you do sign up for The Eukanuba Rocky Dog Trail Run presented by Ruff Wear, remember these 5 pet friendly tips:
- Build up to the distance. Just like humans, dogs need to slowly add mileage to avoid getting injured. If your canine pal is overweight, you might want to start with a walk/run program first.
- Assess your dog’s health. If your dog is older, make sure his hips and joints are ready to take the pounding a race can demand, or plan on walking the event.
- Don’t run with a puppy. According to Runner’s World, dog’s shouldn’t run long distances until they’re bones are fully grown, which can be up to 9 months for small breeds and 16 months for large dogs.
- Practice running on a trail with your dog on a leash. Leashes are required at the Eukanuba Rocky Dog Trail Run.
- Make sure your dog can handle the excitement of a trail race. If you have a dog who is aggressive towards other animals, or gets overly stimulated by crowds, let your pup sit this one out and sign up to compete in the Eddie Bauer Mud Run (a human only event) instead.
The 2011 Eukanuba Rocky Dog Trail Run is Sunday, June 5 at 11:30 a.m. at Golden Peak. Registration is $20 online, or $25 at the event.
For all of the latest Colorado running news, please subscribe to the Denver Running Examiner and follow me on Twitter @RunWrite.