Tell DriveThruRPG about your character by June 2 and you could win a ViewSonic gTablet with 10″ Multi-Touch LCD Screen, Android OS 2.2, your character custom illustrated by a top-notch artist from Postmortem Studios, a $100 Gift Certificate for DriveThruRPG.com, and a debut in DriveThruRPG’s “Bring It to the Table” feature.
- You must have a DriveThruRPG.com account. It’s free, so make sure you’re signed up. OneBookShelf, Inc. employees and publishers may not participate. All ages welcome.
- The contest gets officially underway on May 19th, with the last day of submissions being two weeks later, June 2nd. Finalists will be posted for fan judging on June 9th, with the votes tallied and winners announced on June 16th.
- Your entry must consist of two parts – the character presented in your choice of game mechanics, and a brief biography of no more than 400 words. Naturally, you must include a name. As well, don’t go crazy with the stats part; anything past the half-page mark is too much. Any system and any genre is perfectly acceptable (though it needs to be “Safe for Work,” please).
- No images, please. The judging will be strictly on the crafting of the character and the bio.
- All submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Judges will select Finalists based on creativity, effective written descriptions, and how compelling the character is. Humor is fine if it fits, but dramatic narratives, “Action Figure Stat Card” style, and any other approach is also strong.
- There will be two levels of screening before Finalists are chosen. The first level will be handled by a team of Gaming Commandos under the expert leadership of Sean “Big Irish Gamer” Fannon. The top dozen entries will then be submitted to the judges (the Triad of Terror), who will then submit the Top Five Finalists. All Finalists will win something, but the results of fan voting will determine who gets the top prizes.
The Judges (Triad of Terror)
- Fred Hicks, creator of The Dresden Files RPG and Spirit of the Century, and one of the brilliant minds of Evil Hat Productions. Careful here – if you don’t entertain him, you will receive some very negative Aspects.
- Eddy Webb, writer and designer for Deep 7 and Z-Man Games, and the main man behind everything White Wolf is putting out these days, is a fine professional and a great gamer… and very likely your worst nightmare if you don’t make him smile.
- John Wick, legendarily “indie” long before anyone was using the term, is the magnificent mind responsible for the creation of L5R, 7th Sea, Houses of the Blooded, and much more from John Wick Presents. Fail to amuse, and you may well appear as someone killed horribly in his next work; no, wait, that would be cool, so you wouldn’t stand such a chance.
These are the folks you’ll have to get through to make it to the Final. If you manage to get that far, your work will be submitted to the fans at large to vote on the very best selections.
- The Grand Prize Winner will receive a ViewSonic gTablet with 10″ Multi-Touch LCD Screen, Android OS 2.2, perfect for carrying and reading our products on. As well, their character will be custom illustrated by Bradley McDevitt, top-notch artist for Postmortem Studios!
- The First Runner Up will receive a $100 Gift Certificate for DriveThruRPG.com products!
- Second Runner Up will receive a $50 Gift Certificate, while the remaining finalists will each receive $25 Gift Certificates.
- Each character will be featured in the “Bring It to the Table” feature in the weekly Newsletter.
Enter the contest at DriveThruRPG.