It’s that time of the year again. It’s the time when kids get summer off from school. A time when people start going to the beaches or planning summer vacations. It’s the time of the year when people attends concerts and watch fireworks displays on the 4th of July. It’s the time of the year when people attends baseball games or escape the heat by staying in their air-conditioned homes.
But, for this humble examiner, the best part of the summer season is the slew of new movies that will be coming out. Ever since Steven Spielberg released a little-known shark film called Jaws back in the summer of 1975, the summer season had been the breeding ground for summer blockbusters and sleepers as movie fans waited in long lines to see them in the confines of air-conditioned theaters. Every year, people were waiting in anticipation to see the latest films from their favorite stars or continue following the favorite characters in sequels. During the summer movie season, movie fans have a variety of genres to pick out from ranging from action to drama to comedy, etc. For this excitied examiner, the summer movie season is almost of an adrenaline rush as the excitement of the films that this examiner want to watch as well as the hype and promotion about the films. In addition, there’s nothing to match the anticipation of watching the film on opening weekend and finally getting to see it as well as a chance for pure escapism.
Last summer was a blast with exciting and entertaining films such as The Expendables, The Last Exorcism, Inception, Toy Story 3, Predators and, of course, the classic Piranha 3D among other films this examiner saw last year.
This summer is no different as movie fans can’t wait to see new films from Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Ryan Reynolds, Justin Timberlake, and Brad Pitt. Fans are also exicted to see the returns of their favorite characters like Captain Jack Sparrow and Lightning McQueen. As for the kids and the young at heart, they can expect to see the return of The Smurfs and Winnie the Pooh while comic book fans can see their favorite characters like Thor and Captain America this summer before seeing them again in The Avengers movie next summer as well as The Green Lantern and the return of the X-Men. For horror films like this examiner, they can expect another Final Destination film as well as a scary trip to the moon with Apollo 18. And, of course, film-goers will get to see their favorite little-known wizard named Harry Potter one last time.
Like Oprah have her book list, this wise examiner have a summer movie list that yours truly want to see (with enough money, of course) and urge you to watch as well:
- Fast Five – Already saw it, and it was exciting with great action and car chases. Already a huge hit at the box office. The sixth film almost a given.
- Thor – Another huge hit. One of the characters of the upcoming Avengers movie.
- Bridesmaids – Already a sleeper hit with positive reviews from audience and critics. Kristen Wiig from Saturday Night Live stars in this female version of The Hangover. Speaking of The Hangover….
- The Hangover Part II – Hangover fans hoping that this film isn’t like Sex & the City II. The trailer looks funny as The Wolfpack are in Bangkok, Thailand for their latest madcap adventure. Of course, anything starring Western North Carolina native Zach Galifianakis have to be funny.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides – Johnny Depp is back as Captain Jack Sparrow in this latest adventure. More reason to watch this film, TWO WORDS: Penélope Cruz!!!
- The Green Lantern – Not to be confused with The Green Hornet starring Seth Rogen. The Green Lantern stars Ryan Reylonds are the green superhero.
- Super 8- Another hit from super-whiz director J.J. Abrams? Sure looks like it. It’s about kids filming a mysterious creature as people in their town disappears
- X-Men: First Class – It’s a prequel on how the X-Men began as well as how Professor X and Magneto, who were once friends, became enemies.
- Cars 2 – Lightning McQueen and gang are back, this time in the World Prix in this another potential hit from PIXAR.
- Bad Teacher – Former couple Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake star in this raunchy comedy about a foul-mouth teacher competing against a squeaky-clean teacher for the affections of a rich substitute after being dumped by her rich sugar daddy.
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon – Optimus Prime leads the Autobots to another fight against the Decepticons in the final battle in the final Transformers movie (supposedly). The question is, “Will the film survive without Megan Fox?”
- Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – Potter fans, including this examiner, will be crying while watching the final installment of the Harry Potter franchise as Harry, Ron and Hermione end their journey when Harry faced his confrontation with Lord Voldemort.
- Horrible Bosses – Who doesn’t have a boss from hell? Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, and Jason Sudeikis have a solution: plain old-fashioned murder!
- Captain America: The First Avenger – Marvel fans will be excited to watch Chris Evans plays Captain America before seeing him again in The Avengers movie next summer.
- Cowboys & Aliens – Iron Man director Jon Favreau brings this story about, you guess it, aliens in the Old West based on a graphic novel. It will be James Bond vs. Indiana Jones as the film stars Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford.
- Rise of The Planet of the Apes – James Franco stars in this prequel of the sci-fi classic Planet of the Apes where we find out how the chimps evolved to be smarter and stronger than humans to create the ape planet. Also, these apes turned out to be better hosts of the Academy Awards too.
- Final Destination 5 – Horror fans rejoice as the fifth installment of the hit franchise is coming out. Also, Tony Todd is back as Bludworth from the first two Final Destination films. Fans better see this film because, if successful, the sixth and seventh installment are in the works. This concerned examiner isn’t thrilled with the film being moved to August 12th from the original August 26th release date though.
- 30 Minutes or Less – Fresh from being nominated for an Oscar for The Social Network, Jesse Eisenberg satrs in this film about two hapless criminals using a pizza boy to rob a bank. Aziz Ansari, who is funny on the TV show Parks & Recreation, also stars in this film.
- Fright Night – This campy 80’s horror classic is the latest 80’s film to be remade. This time, Colin Farrell is playing the vampire. I’m guessing tha he won’t be like Edward from the Twilight films.
- Conan the Barbarian – It’s so nice to see Arnold Schwarzenegger back into pictures after being Governor of California. What a minute, Arnold isn’t in this version? Jason Momoa played the title character. It still interesting to see, especially in 3D.
- Apollo 18 – This movie is the reason that Final Destination 5 is being bumped up. It’s a footage style film about an Apollo 18 mission to the moon and the discovery of parasitic lifeform as well as why NASA discontinuted future Apollo moon missions. Can we say , “Houston, we have a problem?”
So, there you have. This is the summer movies must-see list. Of course, most of you said that they can’t afford the high ticket prices as well as the high gas prices. This examiner understands, but it’s worth it to go see the movies at a movie theater. There’s nothing to beat with the experience of watching a movie at a packed thaeter, especially while watching a horror or comedy film. This examiner hopes that you will watch the films on the list or even the ones that aren’t on the list.
As much as the examiner love the summer movie season, it’s also the most stressful time of year for yours truly because there will be sleepless nights over how the films that this neurotic examiner listed performs on opening weekend. This caring examiner wants these films be do huge at the box office this summer.
To see if your favorite summer movie will be playing at Carmike Market Fair 15, Millstone 14, or Carmike 12 or purchase tickets online, check on the websites Fandango.com or Moviefone.com.
Hope you enjoy the summer by going to the movies!!!!