One of the greatest shades of summer are the colors of the sunset. Bright tones of yellow, pink and orange are seen at the end of many days before they disappear behind the Blue Ridge Mountains. The various shades of orange were a major color trend on the spring and summer 2011 runways, and have slowly started the trickle effect into stores in the region. Thankfully, Charlottesville, Virginia, known as Hootown to many, is home to the University of Virginia ‘the Hoos’. The colors of UVA are blue and orange, and because of this color scheme, it seems as though many stores throughout Charlottesville carry the color orange on their shelves, regardless of the fashion trend or not. This town is full of school spirit, and students, residents and fans alike enjoy showing their support of the Charlottesville teams. It is to the benefit of all the women of Charlottesville that now orange is accepted readily as a trending color, and out-of-town friends can no longer tease that a person looks or is dresses like a pumpkin!
Consider stopping by J.Crew at Fashion Square Mall (434 975 2889) to look at the various options that their store has to offer, whether you are a Hoo’s fan or not. Recently stocked items in orange include ikat shift dresses, tie-die esque linen shorts, and resin jewelry. Perfect for a football tailgate, a dinner and a movie on the Downtown Mall or even a summer concert at the Pavilion, these colors will pop when you pair them with anything.
How to wear orange is tricky, but everyone of all shades and shapes can make it work, as Tim Gunn says. Here are some tips and tricks:
- Never buy a piece in a shade you do not normally wear without trying it on first, because the different shades of orange can look completely different on your skin.
- If you are confidant, go for a head to toe look. If you are trying a style out for the first time, don’t be afraid to try something different with just a cuff bracelet or necklace. Or, pile on lots of bracelets and make that your statement piece.
- Try to pair a simple white top and jeans with a patterned blazer or jacket, that includes orange in its color scheme.
- Hermes has one of the most signature shades of orange, and this color can be added to an outfit with a chic purse or scarf.
- JPK has a great orange nylon handbag, dressier than a Longchamp but still affordable at $165.00.
Again, be daring in summer with a fun collection of striking orange pieces for the wardrobe. Do not hesitate to integrate them into the wardrobe for day or night looks. If an article of clothing is too much, there are dozens of gorgeous accessories out there to shake things up.
For more information on their looks for summer 2011, stop by J.Crew at Fashion Square Mall, 1624 East Rio Road, 434-975-2889.