Beatles, Beatles-related and music events on July 30:
- July 30, 1963: EMI recording session for “Please Mr. Postman” and “It Won’t Be Long.” Later in the day, they worked on “Money (That’s What I Want),” a remake of “Till There Was You”, “Roll Over Beethoven,” “It Won’t Be Long” and “All My Loving.”
- July 30, 1963: BBC session in midday for “Pop Chat” (interview) and “Saturday Club.” Songs: “Long Tall Sally,” “She Loves You,” “Glad All Over,” “Twist and Shout,” “You Really Got a Hold On Me” and “I’ll Get You.”
- July 30, 1969: Work on what becomes the “Abbey Road” medley. Author Mark Lewisohn says Paul McCartney had originally instructed “Her Majesty” to be tossed, but engineer John Karlander couldn’t bring himself to do it, so he put it on the acetate at the end after a pause. McCartney approved.
- July 30, 1954: Elvis Presley debuts as a public performer.
- July 30, 1960: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey.
- July 30, 1961: Blair Hall, Liverpool.
- July 30, 1962: (lunch) Cavern Club; (night) St. John’s Hall, Bootle.
- July 30, 1965: The group rehearses for a TV performance and records two radio interviews.
- July 30, 1966: New York radio station WOR moves from AM to FM, but without four of its AM deejays, including Murray the K, who called himself “The Fifth Beatle.” A dispute with the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists was cited as the cause.
- July 30, 1970: The Beatles close Apple Boutique and give away all the stock, first to friends, then the public.
- July 30, 1970: The Rolling Stones fire Allen Klein.
“Some Days in the Beatles lives” is a regular feature of Beatles Examiner. Let us know what you like or don’t about it.
Stan is the author of the Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, Vintage Rock ‘n’ Roll Examiner and TV on DVD Examiner columns on joltleft.com.
- Be sure to subscribe to this column by clicking the button at the top of the page.
- Your feedback and ideas are always welcome. Contact us at email@example.com.
- See all the Beatles Examiner columns: http://joltleft.com/beatles-in-national/steve-marinucci
- Please join us on Twitter: @stevemarinucci and @beatlesexaminer (RT’s are much appreciated!)
- We’re also on Google+
- Add us as a friend on our Beatles Examiner page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beatles-Examiner/372042379525
- And if you like this article, please share this article on StumbleUpon, Digg, Twitter, or Facebook!