Saddle up your ponies wine pokes and head on over to the National Museum of Natural History; the Rhone Rangers are comin’ to town June 8-9. Twenty-four member wineries will be pouring their wines as part of the Smithsonian’s third annual Sustainable Seafood Conference.
But you had better hurry; one seminar has already sold out!
Rhone Ranger Wines
If you’re a wine lover but don’t know about the Rhone Rangers–you should. This group of 200 winemakers is dedicated to making phenomenal wines with the twenty-two varietals allowed in the AOC’s Côtes du Rhône appellation. While not all of the grapes included in this famous French wine region are noble or well known, you’re probably familiar with the name of one of its most famous wines–Châteauneuf-du-Pape AOC. A glorious blend of red grapes and one white, this wine, perhaps more than any other, has helped popularize Rhône Valley wines in America. Read more about the Rhone Rangers in my article: Unmasking the Rhone Rangers.
Conference Seminars & Events
In addition to wine and food events, the conference includes educational seminars on sustainable seafood and wine growing practices. Plus, actor/ocean activist Ted Danson will be on hand to sign his new book Oceana: Our Planet’s Endangered Oceans and What We Can Do To Save Them.
- Trade only wine tasting, Wednesday, June 8th, 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM. National Museum of Natural History. To request information and/or an invitation, email Rhone Rangers at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winemaker Dinner, Wednesday, June 8th, 7:30 PM. Willow Restaurant in Arlington. Ticket information available soon. Open to the public.
- Public Seminar #1 “The Gulf and Its Seafood–One Year Later” followed by Wine & Dine Reception. Thursday, June 9th, 6:45 PM to 10:00 PM. Baird Auditorium. Includes book signing with Ted Danson. View the wine and seafood reception wine list and menu.
- Public Seminar #2″Green Rangers–Sustainable, Organic, and Biodynamic American Rhones” followed by Wine & Dine Reception. Thursday, June 9th, 6:45 PM to 10:00 PM. Executive Conference Room. SORRY, THIS SEMINAR IS SOLD OUT. Please call (202) 633-3030 to get on the Wait List. Additional tickets may become available or additional sessions may be added.
- Rhone Rangers DC Event Page
- Rhone Rangers.org Website
- Searchable Database of Rhone Ranger Wineries