If you’re in the mood for a little cool refreshment, you’re in luck! June 10th is National Iced Tea Day! While the official first day of summer is still a few days away, this annual “holiday” reminds us how refreshing a cool glass of iced tea tastes especially during this blistering heat and stifling humidity.
Origins of Iced Tea
In the early 1900s, tea plantation owner Richard Blechynden was selling hot tea at the St. Louis World Fair. Because the day was a scorcher, he poured some of his hot tea into some ice and served it cold. And the rest, as they say, is history. Tea has become a popular drink. According to the Tea Council of the U.S.A, Americans consumed more than 65 billion servings of tea in 2010.
Health Benefits of Tea
And not only is iced tea tasty, it’s good for you too. Some believe certain types of tea can help prevent heart disease, lower cholesterol, fight cancer, stimulate the immune system and sooth sore throats.
In honor of National Iced Tea Day, why not whip up a few of these deliciously refreshing iced tea beverages listed below?
Delicious Alcohol-Free Iced Tea Recipes
- Lemon Iced Tea Recipe – You’ll need lemon-flavored herbal tea bags, sugar, lemon juice, lemon and fresh mint sprigs for this recipe.
- Iced Tea Slush Recipe – Gather up the kids – This deliciously refreshing drink is sure to be a great big hit! You’ll need orange and lemonade concentrate, iced tea and sugar.
- Berry Peach Tea – You’ll need blackberry flavored tea bags, fresh peaches and mint and brown sugar.
- Strawberry-Lemonade Tea – If this drink doesn’t say summer, what does?
- Boston Iced Tea – You’ll need white sugar, tea bags and frozen cranberry juice concentrate for this drink.
- Almost Strawberry Snapple Iced Tea – If you love Snapple, you’ll love this drink! You’ll need black tea blend or orange pekoe tea bags, sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice and strawberry extract.
- Southern Sweet Iced Tea – This iced tea drink starts out hot. You’ll need tea bags, baking soda, sugar and water.
- Lipton Iced Tea Recipes – This website offers numerous iced tea recipes. How does White Citrus Sangria sound to you right about now? Or how about a super-cool Teacicle? Lipton has a slew of refreshing recipes sure to hit the right spot!
- Summer Peach and Ginger Iced Tea Recipe – You’ll need canned peaches, sugar, grated ginger, ice and English breakfast tea.
- Pineapple Sun Tea Coolers Recipe – This drink calls for black tea bags, unsweetened pineapple juice concentrate, lemon juice and sugar.
Delicious Iced Tea Cocktails with Alcohol
- Cranberry Vodka Iced Tea Recipe – Now we’re talking! This recipe calls for sugar, fresh lime juice, English tea bags, cranberry juice and cranberry vodka. Yum!
- Brain Freeze #2 – You’ll need Seagrams 7 Crown, Sprite, Mountain Dew and Iced Tea for this ice-cold drink.
- Long Island Iced Tea Recipe – You can’t have National Iced Tea Day without a fabulous Long Island Iced Tea recipe! And fair warning – this recipe is “loaded” with alcohol so drink responsibly! This delicious drink, which has no tea, uses vodka, tequila, rum, gin, triple sec, sweet and sour mix and coca-cola!
- Raspberry Long Island Iced Tea – Like the recipe above, this Iced Tea recipe has no tea. You’ll need vodka, rum, tequila, gin, triple sec, sweet and sour mix and raspberry liqueur.
- Super Spiked Long Island Green Tea – You’ll need Long Island Green Tea, Green Tea Vodka, fresh lemon juice, orange liqueur, golden rum and Simple Syrup.
- Iced Tea Cocktail – You’ll need dark rum, brandy, triple sec, orange and lime juice, cola and tea for this drink.
- Bacardi Dragon Berry and Iced Tea – This recipe calls for 2 ingredients – Bacardi Dragon Berry Rum and iced tea.
- Liquor Laced Greek Island Iced Tea – This pretty beverage calls for pomegranate herbal tea, mint-flavored herbal tea and licorice spice herbal tea bags, anise, fresh spearmint, lemons, cinnamon sticks, honey, grenadine and ouzo liqueur.
- A Brisk Walk Through the Redlight District – This recipe calls for Crown Royal, vermouth and iced tea.
- Beer and Tea – This sounds like an unusual combination – you’ll need beer and tea to make this drink.
Happy National Iced Tea Day. Enjoy!