Rev. Harold Solomon, Associate Minister of St. Mark Baptist Church, Maidens, Virginia preached at the Fourth Anniversary Service of Rev. Pernell Johnson, Pastor of First Baptist Church, Midlothian, Virginia.
Both Rev. Solomon and Rev. Johnson are residents of Richmond, Virginia and graduates of The Way of Life Bible Institute in Partnership with Oral Roberts University in Richmond, Virginia.
During the 11:00 a.m. Worship Service, Rev. Solomon told the congregation to “Follow the Leader Who Follows God” based on Joshua 3:1-7, 14-17. (READ “Why most churches start at 11:00 a.m.)
Summary of Rev. Solomon’s Sermon
Nothing separated Israel from the Promise Land except the Jordan River. Joshua did not question God when God told him at the death of Moses, “Just as I was with Moses, I’ll be with you.” The banks of the Jordan were at flood level and God took the people in a direction they have never been before.
The priests carried the ark of the covenant on their shoulders which represented the presence of God. Be careful what you look at. When you get up “Put God First.” (PGF) Talk to God. Keep your mind stayed on God. As soon as the priests’ feet touched the water, the water stopped.
Joshua told the people they needed to follow God. Joshua told the people to consecrate themselves. in other words, be prepared to cross the Jordan. Do not to carry unnecessary burdens and move away from a “cannot do” attitude. Speak life into your situations and avoid associations with people who are obstacles.
“Follow the leader who follows God.” When you do this . . .
- seas and rivers become dry highways
- wilderness will blossoms like a rose
- saints will be made out of sinners
- believers will come out of unbelievers
- spiritual giants will come out of midgets
In conclusion, Rev. Solomon compared Rev. Johnson to Joshua. He admonished the people to follow Rev. Johnson as the he follows God; as he visits the sick, as he does what God has called him to do.
Rev. Solomon made his Christological move by illustrating how the number 3 plays a part in our lives and in the Bible:
- 3 time periods: past, present, future
- 3 patriarchs: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob
- 3 parts of man: body, soul, spirit
- 3 parts of the Trinity: God, Jesus, Holy Spirit
- Jonah was in the belly of th great fish for 3 days
- Jesus lived 33 years
- Jesus taught for 3 years
- Joshua crossed the Jordan River on th third day
- Jesus rose from the dead on the third day