Where has the summer gone, you might ask? Well, it is still summer but the schools don’t wait for the olden days when school began the next day after Labor Day – they seem to begin earlier and earlier every year.
Atlanta City Schools start on August 8, and Fulton County Schools in Atlanta will open its doors for the new year on August 15. Check links below for their web sites.
This year in Fayette County (just south of Atlanta) schools will begin their new year on August 8. You may be new to the areas and need additional information on the who, what, when and where. You can check with their web site to help you with many of your questions. http://www.fcboe.org/
While the school year officially beings on August 8 there will be orientations given at each of the school levels — Kindergarten, Elementary, Middle and High schools. Some families will be totally new to the community while others will be making transitions from elementary to middle or middle to high school.
These orientations are important to help the parents and students have the information that will help make these transitions or returns easier; and get everyone started off on the right foot for a successful new year.
At these orientations meetings, teachers, counselors, administrators and bus drivers will be on hand to help answer questions.
Representatives from various clubs and organizations will also be in attendance to help introduce parents and students to extracurricular activities available at each school.
The schedule for these various dates are as follows:
School Orientations Schedules
All Elementary Schools will hold orientation on August 4, 4-6 p.m. The following schools will hold special pre-K and/or kindergarten orientations at special times on August 4 as listed below by school. Note that Sara Harp Minter will hold its orientation on July 30.
- Brooks: Pre-K and Kindergarten, 10-11:30 a.m.
- Crabapple Lane: Pre-K and Kindergarten, 9-11 a.m.
- Huddleston: Kindergarten only, 9-11 a.m.
- Inman: Kindergarten only, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- North Fayette: Pre-K and Kindergarten, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Peeples: Kindergarten only, 9-11 a.m.
- Peachtree City: Kindergarten only, 9-11 a.m.
- Robert J. Burch: Pre-K and Kindergarten, 9-11 a.m.
- Sara Harp Minter: July 30, Kindergarten only, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Spring Hill: Kindergarten only, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Bennett’s Mill: August 5, (6th grade – 2-3:30 p.m.) (7th & 8th grade – 4-5:30 p.m.)
- Fayette: August 5, (6th grade – 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.) (7th & 8th grade – 9-10 a.m.)
- Flat Rock: August 4, (6th grade only– 2-3:30 p.m.)
- Flat Rock: August 5, (7th & 8th grade – 2:30-4 p.m.)
- J.C. Booth: August 3, (6th grade – 2-3:30 p.m.) (7th & 8th grade – 4-5:30 p.m.)
- Rising Starr: August 4, (6th grade – 9:30-11 a.m.) (7th & 8th grade – 1:30-3 p.m.)
- Whitewater: August 4, (6th grade – 9-10:30 a.m.) (7th & 8th grade – 1:30-3 p.m.)
- Fayette County: August 4, (9th grade and new students) – 6 p.m.
- McIntosh: July 28, (Camp McIntosh Freshman Orientation), 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- McIntosh: August 4, (9th – 3-4:30 p.m.), (10th grade – 1:30-3 p.m.), (11th grade – 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.), and (12th grade – 9-10:30 a.m.)
- Sandy Creek: August 4, (9th grade and new students) – 6-8 p.m.
- Starr’s Mill: August 4, (9th grade and new students) – 6-8 p.m.
- Whitewater: August 3, (12th grade – 8-9:30 a.m.) (11th grade – 9:30-11 a.m.) (10th grade – 2-3:30 p.m.) (9th grade – 3:30-5:30 p.m.)
For more information during the school year, subscribe to Atlanta Schools Examiner. It is free – also you may wish to share this with those who have schoolchildren in the Atlanta/Fayette County areas.