Searching for something fun and inexpensive to do with your family this Memorial Day weekend? Ft. Wayne and its surrounding areas are bursting with activities!
Thursday, May 26th
- A play by David Rambo entitled The Lady with All the Answers opens tonight. This two-hour play begins at 7:30pm, and tickets cost only $10 each (the price increases to $20 after opening night).
- The Northern Indiana Bluegrass Festival in Kendallville lasts through Sunday, but Thursday evening features a free drive-in community night, 4H dinner by donation from 4:30pm–7:30pm and a show from 7:00pm-10:00pm.
Friday, May 27th
- Auburn’s Cruise-In: Gathering with the Classics is a free, two-day event open to any kind of car and includes tours, car games, competitive events, social activities and a car show among other highlights.
- The TinCaps baseball team will turn their park pink in support of breast cancer awareness, and you can help by wearing your favorite pink clothing. The players will be wearing pink jerseys during their game against the Great Lakes Loons. Game starts at 7:05pm, and don’t forget to stick around afterwards to see the spectacular fireworks display! Search their website for best ticket prices.
Saturday, May 28th
- Breakfast will be served at the Orland American Legion from 6:30am–10:00am to benefit the Joyce Public Library. Adults eat for $7.00 and children for $4.00. After the hearty breakfast, your family can walk off the calories by participating in a tour detailing the rich Underground Railroad history in this part of Indiana.
- A free guided Wildflower Hike in Bender Memorial Forest also starts at 10:00am.
- Learn from the buffalo at Wild Winds Buffalo Preserve in Fremont from 10:00am to 4:00pm. Adults: $8.00, Children: $5.00
- If you can’t take the heat, don’t worry; all Ft. Wayne Splash Pads open today!
- Or you can take your children to the air-conditioned Weakening Web hands-on display at Science Central where they will learn about the importance of environmental conservation. General Admission: $7.00; kids 2 and under are free.
- Baer Field Speedway is hosting a Double Features Super Show plus Autograph Night. Adults admission: $12, Kids 7-12yrs: $5, children 6 years and under: free, and they have free parking.
- At the TinCaps game starting at 7:05pm, you can meet Myron Noodleman, the “Clown Prince of Baseball.” He will not only entertain on the field, but he may end up sitting next to you in the stands. And don’t forget to stick around afterwards for the fireworks!
Sunday, May 29th
- Baer Field Speedway hosts its Grand Opener beginning at 2:00pm.
- The fluttering variety of color in the Butterflies of Belize Exhibit at the Botanical Conservatory will awe anyone. Hours: Noon – 4:00pm; Admission: Adults $5.00, Children 3-17 $3.00, 2 years and under are free.
- The TinCaps baseball team will meet you after their 7:05pm game for photos and autographs!
Monday, May 30th
- 3Rivers Memorial Day Open Horse Show begins at 8:00am rain or shine and is free for the entire family. Get there early enough, and you may enjoy a biscuits and gravy breakfast.
- The Allen County Memorial Day parade begins at 11:00am at Northside Park and ends at the War Memorial Coliseum.
- About an hour North of Ft Wayne, in Coldwater Michigan, the Little River Railroad will be giving steam engine train rides at 2:00pm Adults: $18.00, Children: $11.00, Veterans and Armed Service Members: Free
- During the TinCaps 7:05pm game against the Great Lakes Loons, food items at concession stands will cost $1.00 each.
As you can see, there is plenty to do in our area, so get out there and play!