Memorial Day is a federal holiday that is observed to honor the Union soldiers who served in the American Civil War. Many men and women served in the military to protect our country. This day is set aside from other holidays for it is a day of remembrance. A day to be reminded of all those who lost their lives honoring their country and the freedoms it gives to each and every American.
Mississippi was the only southern state that had great respect for the military casualties. The cemetery in Columbus was the only one that allowed veterans from both sides to be laid to rest upon its land.
Other ways that we can honor these brave soldiers is to retell the stories that were handed down from generation to generation. Present the flag at half staff from dawn until noon. Take time out of this day to visit the gravesites of your loved ones. Say a prayer and give thanks for all that they did so that we can live in a free country. Talk with a veteran at the nearest veteran hospital. They will be glad for the company. You never know, there might be many stories told with a history lesson in each one. Or maybe attend a neighborhood parade. Watch how the active and retired men and women march in honor of their fallen comrades and know that being there for them will make a difference in their hearts.
Memorial Day Events in Mississippi:
- 29th Annual Gulfport Memorial Day Blowout – Gulfport Dragway – 17085 Race Track Road – Gulfport, MS – May 27-30
- Memorial Day Biker Party – 611 Hurricane Creek Road – Sandy Hook, MS – May 27-30 – Tickets are available for $25 – $35 per person
- Memorial Day Parade and Service – Vicksburg, MS – May 30
- Missouri River Irish Fest Memorial Day weekend –Frontier Park in St. Charles, MS – May 27-29
- Memorial Day USSSANIT – USSSSA World Series Qualifier – Snowden Grove Park – 6450 Getwell – Southaven, MS – May 27-29
Remember those who have fallen and all those brave men and women who are serving their country today!
To be alerted to new articles from the Winona Home & Living Examiner, click on the subscribe button above. Included are fun, crafty and educational topics to enjoy reading. And be sure to check out the Winona Cooking Examiner, her step-by-step, easy to follow recipes are sure to be a hit at your dining table. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a topic or suggestion you would like covered. Happy reading and thank you for stopping by!
Copyright 2011 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved