Ever since the heat of the summer has intensified, and does not seem to be letting up at all, it is smart to enjoy a lighter meal that is also nutritious. A dinner recipe that doesn’t require hours in the kitchen – but rather a meal that can be started and on the table within 30-45 minutes. Penne is easy to prepare and not a heavy macaroni noodle. Broccoli is a delicious vegetable full of vitamins and minerals, vibrant color and one of the most sought after greens. These two ingredients pulled together create a delicious dinner, won’t heat up the kitchen and will have you relaxing in an air conditioned room in no time at all. Let’s get ready to make a light and healthy broccoli and penne dinner recipe right now.
- 1 pound of penne
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 bunch or bag of fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 teaspoons of oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- Grated cheese for garnish
- Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling water according to the package directions. (Pasta should be al dente)
- Once the pasta is perfectly cooked remove the pot from the stove and drain using a colander.
- Set pasta aside in a large pasta platter or bowl.
- While the pasta is cooking take out a large frying pan and saute the butter, oil and garlic together.
- The garlic should be cooked until tender and just slightly browned.
- Now add the broccoli florets and saute in the garlic while stirring for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then include the vegetable broth along with all the spices.
- Mix the pan well and allow the broccoli to cook for 5 minutes or until tender yet crisp. (Do not over cook – the broccoli will be mushy then.)
- Once the broccoli is cooked to perfection pour the entire content of the frying pan over the penne pasta and toss well.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese or set the cheese on the table for each family member to add to their individual dishes.
- Dinner of penne and broccoli is ready to be served.
- Time to sit down and eat.
- For added heat add a ¼ – ½ teaspoon of red pepper.
- Make dinner a little more Italian by sprinkling some oregano on top.
- A red bell pepper can also be cut up and sauted with the broccoli for another splash of color.
A great place for grocery shopping in Winona, MS is at the SuperValu.
The Leflore Farmers Market has a great selection and good prices on their locally grown and farm fresh produce.
Copyright 2011 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Looking for more easy to follow, step-by-step recipes from the Winona Cooking Examiner click on the subscribe button above and each new entry will be delivered to your inbox spam free.
An array of fun, crafty and educational topics, stories and articles are available from the Winona Home and Living Examiner. Local events and interesting facts, tips and holiday information is also available for your reading pleasure.
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Digg