SAN FRANCISCO — Some less-than-familiar New York State names took gold medals in the recent San Francisco International Wine Competition.
Coyote Moon Vineyards, located in the Thousand Islands, and Eagle Crest Vineyards of Hemlock Lake scored heavily in a field of more than 4,000 international entries.
Coyote Moon won Double Golds — a unanimous vote of the tasting panel — for its 2010 River Time White and its 2009 River Run Rose, and Golds — a majority vote of the panelists — for its 2010 Brianna and its 2010 Concord Fire Boat Red.
Eagle Crest earned a Double Gold for its Cayuga-based On-no-lee, and Golds for its 2010 Semi-Dry Riesling and its 2010 Niagara.
Merritt Estate also joined the New York parade with a Double Gold for its Bella Ice Wine.
Other New York single Golds:
- Fulkerson Winery 2009 Riesling-Traminette, 2008 Cabernet Franc Ice Wine.
- Goose Watch 2010 Diamond, 2010 Melody.
- Hazlitt 1856 Vineyards 2008 Cabernet Franc.
- Keuka Lake Vineyards 2009 Riesling Falling Man Vineyard.
- Keuka Spring 2010 Vignoles and Clara’s red.
- Penguin Bay Percussion.
- Red Tail Ridge 2010 Semi-Sweet Riesling.
- Swedish Hill 2009 Reserve Chardonnay and 2010 25th Anniversary Vignoles.
- Whitecliff Vineyards 2010 Traminette.