Job hunting can be a difficult and daunting task when the economy is up and companies are consistently hiring. However, with unemployment stagnant at 9.0% and millions of degreed professionals are still seeking employment for a year or more, it could be very discouraging.
BUT, you have to look for the good in everything. Why? Because trouble, problems, and a down economy will not last forever. This is good news!
So, let us help you do two things: Build and Prepare!
You may be asking, build what? Prepare for what? I have tried job searches, job boards, career fairs, Texas Workforce Commission, networking, social events, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn but I still have not found a job nor a career. What else can I do?
Sidebar:If you have not done these things then check out my previous articles to get you started in the right direction (http://icedjamb.com/career-coach-in-plano/marcellas-flenory-sr)
Many people have lost hope because they were known for their job title and/or company name. But, your job should not define who you are but what you do to serve your customers or clients. There is not a time better than now to define who you are and promote it to achieve your personal and professional goals and objectives. In a down economy, you can do several things to build up your personal and professional brand. In other words, redefine who are you.
Here is how you build your personal and professional plan:
- Where are you from?
- What is important to you?
- What do you hate or despise?
- What are you willing to give up to achieve your goals and objectives?
- How would your childhood friends describe you?
- How would your current friends describe you?
- What changes have your family noticed about you?
- How would your children or young relatives describe you?
- How would you start and end your autobiography?
- What would be the major accomplishment you are proud of in your autobiography?
- Who would buy or read your autobiography?
- Would it help them?
- Would it help you right now?
- Do you have the ability and willingness to change?
WOW! These are a lot of questions and how is this going to help?
Well, if you can’t answer these questions as fast as they are asked then you do not know who you are. Therefore, how can you sell yourself to an employer or hiring manager? You cannot consistently and successfully sell what you do not believe in or what you have no knowledge of. Remember this one thing when building your personal and professional brand, people will buy in to you before they buy what you are selling.
When we were children we asked the infamous question a million times per day, why? And you need to ask yourself why? Why do I go to work every day, why am I seeking a job, why do I exist, why am I even reading this article? My friend Leonard would always ask me, “Is this a stepping stone to reaching your goal? If not, why do it?” Your why should define you, motivate you, encourage you, and inspire you. Your why should be on your computer, iPhone, iPad, in your bedroom, in your bathroom, on your desk, in your car, in your kitchen, and accessible by someone that will hold you accountable. You should have no less than ten things on your why list. These things should be attainable and achievable. If a garbage man was capable of turning video tape rentals into a billion dollar business, then you can do anything. Therefore, anything is attainable and everything is achievable when you are focused and committed to your why.
Here are some examples:
- Start a profitable business and leave it for my children’s children.
- Tithes / Offering totaling millions of dollars per year because its 10% of my residual income.
- Teach young adults on how to become wealthy.
- Run and win the seat for City Council or Mayor.
- Complete my PhD before age 50.
- Become VP of Operations for a fortune 500 company.
- Pay in full my children’s college tuition so they will not have to take out any loans.
- Retire by the age of 55 with a retirement income of $10K per month.
- Join the Billionaire’s oath to give away 10% of all my income per year to charity.
- Show my wife or husband love every day before going to sleep.
These are just examples but we hope you get a better idea of what your why is and begin to see the positives in this down economy because everything is on sale.
Your personal and professional brand is now in its building stage and will continue for your entire life. Note this one point, you are the sum total of every person, every circumstance, and every encounter you have ever experienced. Therefore, you are growing daily. This is why you are more than the company you work for or your job title.