If you suffer from addiction and you live in South Carolina please see: Addiction Treatment Centers in South Carolina.
According to news reports another baby in South Carolina has died due to an overdose of Morphine in the mother’s breast milk. The mother, Stephanie Greene is 37 years old and was charged with homicide by child abuse.
Statements by investigators say the six week old baby girl named Alexis was discovered dead in her parents bed in their Campobello home in November 2010. The baby had high levels of Morphine in the child’s blood. The drug was illegally obtained by the mother a minimum of 38 times.
Now the big question is, why did this mother continue to breast feed an infant when she knew she was taking in a toxic and addictive substance such as Morphine? It will be interesting to hear what possible defense this mom will come up with in court. Another unfortunate loss of life due to the addiction of another. So often the children of addiction are caught in the crosshairs of the addiction, and this case, fed the addiction first hand.
For information and support on various drugs and addiction, see:
The Addicted Family
Related articles by this author:
When your love isn’t enough, how to deal with an addict
Dealing with more than one addiction
Addicted to eating corn starch
Understanding and helping an addict
Addicted to chewing and eating ice
Addicted and pregnant