The winner of our Hummingbird Cake Recipe Contest is James Grill from Baltimore, MD. James is currently studying Baking and Pastry Arts at The Culinary Institute of America. He can often be spotted at one of Baltimore’s best cafés – A Common Ground. It was here that James met his mentor and friend, owner/chef Glenn Breining. After tasting the recipe that James submitted for our contest, it is clear that he is a master of his craft and is destined for greatness.
James Grill’s Hummingbird Cake
- 1 cup Toasted and Chopped Pecans
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Cake Flour
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 3 large Eggs
- ¾ cup Canola Oil
- ¼ cup Dark Rum
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, not drained
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup cream cheese (room temp)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Rum
- 1lb 10x sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- 3oz dark rum
- 3oz vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toast pecans at 350 for roughly 8-10 or until fragrant.
- Coat 2, 9″ pans with butter. Combine all wet with the dry ingredients in one large bowl. Once homogenous divide evenly into the pans, bake for at the most 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool
- In a mixing bowl combine the butter, cream cheese, and mix on low speed. Once the butter and cream cheese are fully incorporated add the 10x in a slow steady stream as well as the lemon zest, and rum.
- As soon as the mixture is smooth. Fold in the pecans.
- *Once the cakes are cool…
- Remove a small layer off the top and bottom of the cake.
- In a cup combine the vanilla extract and rum. Brush 3oz onto the bottom layer of the cake
- Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese icing on top of the first layer
- Place the 2nd layer on top and repeat the last step
- Place a thin layer of icing over the entire cake
- Allow to sit in a refrigerator for a half hour
- Remove and finish icing the rest of the cake.
*A Common Ground is located at 819 West 36thStreet Baltimore, MD. 21211. If you wish to contact the café please call (410) 235-5533.