Sects on the first date? How far will you go: Nob Hill? Marin County?
Are your dates the same old song and déjà vu all over again? Are you bored by the same formula dating? Get creative. Try Sects in the City. Seriously?
A romantic date in a church, temple or cathedral?
San Francisco has been named #1 for both Best U.S. Vacations and Best Summer Vacations in U.S. News & World Report’s . The City is a cutting edge, hotspot. However, if Pier 39 and Fisherman’s Wharf are not your idea of romantic destinations – get creative: get thee to a house of God; explore unique venues for chanting, singing, meditating, levitating, and gravitating.
The Top Five Places for a Not Holier Than Thou Date
- Grace Cathedral, Evensong – Thursdays 5:15pm-6:000pm. It took the enthusiasm of a surgeon from Kansas, at a cocktail party in Seattle, to get me to attend Evensong at Grace on Nob Hill. He raved about the unique, meditative experience of sitting in the sanctuary at the Cathedral listening to the cherubic voices of the Cathedral’s Men and Boys choir. Divine.
- Trinity Episcopal Church, Try Taize Wednesday nights 7:30pm I defy you to find a more incredible experience in a SF Church on a Wednesday evening. You’ve seen the impressive, massive red doors at Trinity. Prepare to be even more impressed. The hour-long experience involves chanting, prayer, readings (Rumi, the Bible, Thoreau) rapturous voices and exquisite, romantic candlelight.
- Glide Memorial Church, Sundays 9:00am and 11:00am you’ve probably been meaning to go to Glide for years – There is no time like the present. Go Sunday– arrive early (30 minutes) Prepare to scour area for parking. Then sing, rock, and reverberate, pray.
- Congregation Emanu-El, – Stunningly beautiful Temple Emanu-El with a social and spiritual calendar that appeals to a vast cross- section of members and the rest of us. They have a dynamic rendition of a 20/30 Club, amazing lectures, events and yoga. Go, already.
- Green Gulch Farm, Get your Zen on in Marin County, Nourish your mind, body, spirit. Green Gulch is a short drive from the City and a world away. A Buddhist practice center in Japanese Soto Zen tradition. Honey, they have bee keeping, retreats, lectures, mindfulness and nothingness. A sublime getaway destination.
Be adventuresome. Dare to skip the Bay to Breakers, mix it up and try something new this weekend.
Most of us spend the first six days of each week sowing wild oats; then we go to church on Sunday and pray for a crop failure. Fred Allen
Some movie stars wear their sunglasses even in church. They’re afraid God might recognize them and ask for autographs.
You’ve got a friend… Follow me on Face book.
All Page Larkin [email protected] Examiner articles © 2011 by Page Larkin — reposts permitted with copyright notice and link to original article. All other rights reserved.