The fairgrounds as we know it did not exist. This land that Mackie settled on would have been in the present city of Beaver Dam adjacent to Wayland Academy land. Beaver Dam was not settled as rapidly until the mills, saw mill, first, then the grist mill, were built in 1845-1846.
Just to get a feel of surrounding areas: Waupun was settled in 1838 by Seamour Wilcox.
Portland and Elba were first settled in 1843.
Oak Grove was settled by Major Pratt in 1841. Ed’s father passed through there and Major was building a log house but at this time he was sleeping beside a tree with a few boards set against the tree for shelter.
East of the Rock River was not settled until a few years later around 1844 probably due to the heavy wooded area. Then when the Germans came in it was what they were looking for so the east side was quickly taken. In 1844, the Mays and Fosters were looking for a mill site and the undeveloped water power in Mayville was a challenge for them. Many of these settlers were from New York and New England and were German descent.
The land south of Lake St in Section 6 and East of the river had been acquired by Ex Governor Hubbard. Then the Larribee’s, Preston, Chandler and Martin Rich came in 1844-1845.
Martin Rich acquired title to portion of Governor Hubbard’s tract and that is when the preparations for the dam were started. At the time Rich lived in Juneau but moved to Horicon a few years later. To be continued: (Sawyer/Pahl 1998)
Open house at the Satterlee Clark home today from 1-4. Connect with us on facebook and our website to book a private tour. Share our passion on history!