Hines Ward and Kym Johnson tore up the dance floor tonight after a very difficult week on Dancing with the Stars. Their Argentine Tango and Salsa were awarded with six perfect 10s from the judges and two standing ovations from the audience. After their first dance, Hines Ward became very emotional and the tears started flowing, mainly from relief that his partner was able to dance after last Friday’s scary neck injury. Following their powerful performance, an emotionally charged Hines said with tears in his eyes, “Kym was worried about my practice time, but I was so worried about her. Praise God she’s still walking. She’s a warrior.”
A pre-dance segment showed Kym’s accident and how she was rushed to the hospital after saying, “I can’t feel my arms.” During the tumble, Hines fell on Kym while her neck was bent. The end result could have been tragic. An ambulance was called in and transported Kym directly to the hospital. Hines Ward said that he didn’t get a wink of sleep that night because he was so worried about his partner.
In the end, Kym Johnson was very lucky. She returned to perform tonight, and did so with a renewed vigor. Hines and Kym’s Argentine Tango was simply stunning and earned a standing ovation from the audience and judges.
The judges’ comments were very complimentary…
- Len Goodman: “I was there in the club and watching the story unfold. Great job.” Score: 10.
- Bruno Tonioli: “Every emotion was out there for the taking.” Score: 10.
- Carrie Ann Inaba: “I’m really happy that you’re OK because that was a serious injury. Hines, you really took care of your partner.” Score: 10.
Total judges’ score for Argentine Tango: A perfect 30.
Next up was a spicy Salsa and Hines and Kym once again rose to the occasion, despite limited rehearsal time this week. The audience also rose to the occasion, this time for a second standing ovation.
- Len Goodman: “You were steaming and I was beaming.” Score: 10.
- Bruno Tonioli: “You have great ability and versatility.” Score: 10.
- Carrie Ann Inaba: “I get so much joy when you dance.” Score: 10.
Total judges’ score for Salsa: Another perfect 30.
Finally, it was time for the first winner-take-all Cha Cha Challenge. Hines and Kym squared off against Ralph and Karina and won the duel to face Chelsea and Mark in an Instant Cha Cha Challenge. Both couples learned the music choice (Lady Gaga’s “Just Dance”) only four minutes before they squared off in a final battle. In the end, Chelsea and Mark won the first ever Cha Cha Challenge, but all three judges praised Hines for his performance.
Here’s a look at the leaderboard after three dances during the semi-finals on Dancing with the Stars:
- Chelsea Kane and Mark Ballas: 28 + 30 = 15 = 73
- Hines Ward and Kym Johnson: 30 + 30 = 60
- Kirstie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy: 27 + 27 = 54
- Ralph Macchio and Karina Smirnoff: 25 + 23 = 48
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE, and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with your favorite television shows and stars.