– For Memorial Day, we salute the military macaw; a large-for-a-parrot; medium-for-a-macaw sized bird. While there seems to be a healthy number in captivity, they are considered vulnerable in the wild. Militarys have some red coloration in the face, but are mainly a uniform green, which may explain their moniker.
– The South Shore Pet Expo, Sun. 6/5 at the Marshfield (MA) Fairgrounds is not ALL about dogs and cats.Mass. Cage Bird Association members have been invited to demonstrate some of their parrot pals. Author of “I SAW WILD PARROTS IN NEW YORK CITY!” will be signing books and representing the “Pet Gazette” (whom he writes for along with this column). It’s great family fun and admission is FREE. www.southshorepetexpo.com
– New TV program waiting in the wings? In “Dancing with the Parrot Stars“.Jonathan and Sadie have a Bird dance offwww.youtube.com Parrot Safari‘s Brent Rodriguez tipped us off to this fun video.
– No legal eagles here but “Macabre Macaws, Stool Pigeons and Parrot Law” by this correspondent is featured in www.epetgazette.net. Go to Page 6 and click on page image to enlarge. Update on NH Quakers: state senate approved a bill legalizing Quakers, bill is awaiting signature of Gov. John Lynch.
– It’s like Jimmy Carter‘s Habitat for Humanity, only for macaws. Niedo Adoptivo builds and installs wooden nest boxes in a Bolivian reserve. You can sponsor a nest for a year for $250- and in return receive pictures, GPS coordinates and regular reports about your parrot family. This from “Flapping Feathers” newsletter. For more info go to: www.birdendowment.org. ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD
– Parrotlet Koolaid plays Peek-a-boo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz0LoZrKp-g from Connecticut Association for Avicutlure “Birds of a Feather” newsletter.
– The Hudson Valley Bird Society is having a Bird Mart on June 5, 2011 at the Fishkill NY Ramada Inn (formally the Holiday Inn). 9am-4pm featuring birds and bird supplies for sale along with raffles throughout the day. For more info go to: www.hvcbirdsociety.freeservers.com or e-mail matt at: [email protected] 845-877-6808
– Mishka the CAG tells us where he wants to go http://tinyurl.com/3pjwwpz from Connecticut Association for Avicutlure “Birds of a Feather” newsletter.
– Can’t wait for that next club meeting to get your fix of hanging with a bunch of other bird nuts, errrr serious aviculturists? Share your birdie photos, anecdotes, advice, questions etc. on what Nathalie Roberts touts as the No. 1 Social Bird Community. http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3071649-10552597
– The Parrot International Symposium June 3-5 in Miami, FLA features an array of parrot authorities from around the world. The “largest parrot convention” as their website describes the event focuses on “One World for Parrots: Conservation, Aviculture, Companions”. The speaker schedule for ’11 (even though it says ’10): http://www.pisymposium.org/symposium-2010/lecture-schedules/