After months of hard work and coordination, President and CEO of PTA Katherine Harris’s dedication culminated in Fashions From the Heart, a runway show featuring local designers Sharon Clay of BlissProfessionals, Sharon Young, Inc., Bespangled Jewelry, and bridal wear from the Watters collection and from local boutique, A Bridal Blossom. The event was held at the Richardson Woman’s Club on Sunday May 15th, and the reason all these models, designers, and boutiques came together that day was to raise both funding and awareness of a killer epidemic right here in our own community;obesity.
PTA, or Parents Taking Action, is a non-profit organization that provides educational programs and services to parents and children on the overweight and obesity epidemic through various non health platforms. PTA is working to reduce obesity and obesity related conditions through education, training, leadership and motivational programs within the communities. “Our mission is to educate both parents and children about childhood obesity and the seriousness of its consequences, and to work together to combat, overcome, and prevent this terrible killer from taking any more lives of innocent children,” says Harris.
For more information on Parents Taking Action and to find out how to donate or become a volunteer, read this article.
About the Contributing Designers
Please be sure to visit this slideshow to see fashions by all these amazing designers and boutiques on the runway at Fashions From the Heart!
- Sharon Clay Fashions is a wholesale design studio that designs and manufactures for professional women in the missy market. They design career wear and career casual wear which includes women’s suits and coordinate jackets, tops, skirts, pants, and dresses under the BlissProfessional label.
- Sharon Young, Inc.: For the second consecutive year, Sharon Young, Inc. appears on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest growing private companies in America. It is the umbrella company of three ladies’ sportswear divisions; Sharon Young/A’La Carte, City Girl, and Multiples.
- Bespangled Jewelry: Inspired by both nature and architecture, Bespangled is characterized by delicate details and intricate patterns while maintaining a simple elegance and a subtly organic artisan feel. The current collection features beaded designs for everyday or special occasions (including bridal and bridesmaid jewelry) in precious metals and high quality semiprecious gemstones. In Summer 2011 Bespangled Jewelry will proudly unveil an entirely new line of fashion accessories for the trend-savvy working woman!
- Watters has been here for 20 years and over that time, built a reputation around the world for being reliable. You can bet they’ll be there when you need them to deliver. Your dress choice is one of the most important and personal decisions you’ll make, and Watters cares deeply about fulfilling your needs and desires. It shows creatively, qualitatively, and in the special way you’re taken care of when you chose a Watters dress.
- A Bridal Blossom: the delightful bridal boutique on West Lovers Lane, featuring designer gowns sold off-the-rack, special order gowns, bridesmaid’s dresses, flower girl dresses, custom accessories and headpieces. A Bridal Blossom specializes in alterations and custom changes that will make your beautiful gown reflect your unique personality!
Katherine Harris, President/CEO of Parents Taking Action and organizer of this event, was one of the evening’s stunning runway models, and others were from Wade College, including Shacora Hale, Leslie Rogers, Jakia Johnson, Cecile McGregor, and Niki Gonzalez. Additional models Sabrena Gordon, Miriam Muland, Rosalyn Greer, Lyenise Cornell, and Bianca Nguyen also graced the stage with their beauty, and Rosa Varela and Amber Tovar (both from Wade College) and Lyenandra Cornell-Lacy donated their time and patience to help this event run smoothly!
Hair and makeup was courtesy of Toni & Guy.
The event’s M.C. was the sweet Kristie Vento, Marketing Consultant and owner of The Venue Marketing Group, a full service creative marketing, graphic design, strategic branding and interactive agency.
Guest speaker Shae Lyn Steger shared her story as a mother to a young son afflicted by diabetes, reminding us of the constant struggle for balance between healthy food choices and enough activity for our children who are constantly tempted by sweets and junk food, and would spend hours sitting in front of the television or playing video games if not better guided.
Photos were taken by Kat Spencer of Kat Spencer Photography, who specializes in portraits and wedding photography all over the state of Texas.
All these talented people came together and pooled their skills, donating their time, products, and dedication to this fashion show for a truly great cause. You can help too! Together we can make a difference!
You can donate to Parents Taking Action at any time, and any amount is welcome and is tax deductible. Volunteers are always needed to work directly with obese children and their families and friends (no prior experience is needed to take part in these opportunities). You can sign up here or otherwise contact Kay Martin directly ([email protected] or 972-670-3626) to donate or volunteer.
Please visit www.PTAworld.org or find them on Facebook for more information about Parents Taking Action.
To read more Dallas Jewelry Examiner articles, follow this link. If you’d like to receive an email notification each time a new article is published by this author, use the ‘subscribe’ button at the top of the page. Thanks for reading!