In their book Energy Zappers, Shaun Blakeney and Wallace Henley explain in detail who energy zappers are and what we can do to prevent them from draining us dry.
Blakeney and Wallace list 21 types of people who create discord in our souls if we allow them to do so. Eleven of them are listed here.
Read about the other 10 in “Dealing with energy zappers (people who drain you dry)” – part 1.
- Diverters are those who try to get you to change your pattern, your way of living, your vision, your morals to follow theirs. Don’t let them. Stand firm to what you believe.
- Doubters must have everything proven to them. The antidote for doubt is credibility. Be honest and true in all your dealings and do not fall prey to doubters.
- Exasperators are Pharisees of modern day. They hold you responsibie for their lack of ability to understand. State your point and encourage the exasperators.
- Foot Draggers are people who leave it up to you to do all the work. However, they are the ones who give reports of what they have done. You do not want foot draggers on your team. They will zap your energy every time.
- Freeloaders are those who will accept the clothes off your back and send you out into the snow with nothing on. They are thinking only of themselves.
- Patronizers are those who inflate your balloon primarily to pop it. Don’t allow them to make your head swell so they can take the credit for your success.
- Pot Stirrers are people who keep stuff stirred up all the time with gossip. You can stop this by turning off the flame under the pot.
- Quitters are those who give up on you even after you have invested time, money and other resources into them. Do everything possible not to quit the quitter. However, remember God gave us all free will.
- Stride Breakers are those who zap your energy but trying to get you to keep up with their pace. Remember sometimes you have to walk to the beat of a different drum.
- Whiners are people who complain and whine all the time. They have constant woes, unceasing dissatisfactions, and endless gripes. The best thing to do is to ignore the whining but encourage the song (if you ever hear them sing one).
- Wounders drain you with their pain. They are always sick and want to talk about nothing but their sickenss. Remind them that no matter what they are experiencing is a light affliction compared to the pain Jesus endured on the cross.
What a wonderful note to end with the realization that Jesus can refill us when we have been zapped of our energy. Introduce Jesus to those who zap your energy.