Taste the local life of Northern Michigan by attending one of the many festivals in the Traverse City area. Be sure to check out these new and old favorites this June:
- Leelanau Bird Festival- The first ever Bird Fest, held June 1-5, features excursions, presentations, and helpful tips on how to conserve wildlife. Visiting state parks and walking the trails intermixed with seminars about climate change and the piping plovers, one of the most endangered species in Northern Michigan, is sure to both educate and entertain visitors. You can experience every moment of what is sure to be an eye-opening week by paying one fee or you can choose which events to attend, paying for them separately. There are also four free trips which includes a family fun day at Sleeping Bear Sands Dune for those wishing to attend, but watching their budgets.
- Leland Wine and Food Festival- A Northern Michigan tradition, the wine and food festival on June 11 will open your taste buds to local wines and dishes in the surrounding areas. Listen to live music while sampling wines from the Chateau Grand Traverse or Black Star Farms. While enjoying the magnificent view of Lake Michigan and the Manitou Islands, be sure to try cuisine from Bluebird Restaurant or Stone House Bread. The price of the event is $15, but that includes two tickets for wine tasting along with two wine glasses (you can also purchase additional tickets for $2).
- Traverse Colantha Walker Dairy Festival- On June 12, join Traverse City by celebrating Colantha, a cow who produced the most milk in a single year back in 1926 (over 22,918 pounds!) The parade to her headstone starts at noon; attend the pancake breakfast at 10 and then grab your kazoo from the Underground Cheesecake Company to make some noise while marching to the Historic Barns near the State Hospital. There will be Moomers Wagon Rides, art and craft vendors, wine and cheese pairings along with milk and cookie pairings, and plenty of kids’ activities. The second annual “cow fest” brings great food, live music, and a local legend to the forefront in this one-of-a-kind event.
- Divas Uncorked- If you are looking for the perfect girls getaway, the Wineries of Old Mission Peninsula have you covered. On June 17, you can experience the flavors of Northern Michigan wine along with expertly picked appetizers to compliment the choices. Local businesses and artists will be at each of the seven wineries, demonstrating ways to pamper yourself along with handing out special treats and coupons. Purchase a ticket with a complimentary souvenir wine glass for only $25.
- Grand Traverse Balloon Classic- From June 17th-19th, watch as 25 hot air balloons take flight during sunsets and sunrises. Evening balloon launches will feature a balloon glow where balloons are illuminated from the burners; watch these lights fill the sky in a breathtaking display. Launched as a group, these balloons against the backdrop of the rising or setting sun over Grand Traverse Bay is something to behold. All the events are free so be sure to grab a great spot overlooking the bay.
There is something for everyone in June so be sure to take advantage of what Northern Michigan has to offer!