By Kathy M. Newbern and J.S. Fletcher
We all know Memorial Day officially kicks off the summer beach season. To celebrate it, Bald Head Island, N.C. is planning the Bald Head Island Americana Music Weekend featuring bluegrass, folk and jazz music, storytelling, gospel singing and great food all set in North Carolina’s only car-free island.
The weekend highlight is the music festival Saturday, May 28 from noon-8 p.m. at the Harbourside Pavilion. Musical acts include Catesby Jones, Jeanne Jolly, Susan Savia, Big Al & John Fonvielle and the Tony Award-winning Red Clay Ramblers. The event will also feature kids’ games and crafts, a patriotic baking contest and bake sale, and family hootenanny. Meal and snack concessions will be available for purchase.
Other Americana Music Weekend activities include a songwriting workshop, art display and demonstrations by Americana artists, a Memorial Day themed ghost walk and a custom yacht showcase sponsored by The BrandBoat.
If You’re Going: Festival tickets are $10 per person (ferry passage and parking not included). A portion of the proceeds from this event will benefit local Wounded Warriors. Active duty military and veterans receive free admission at the door by showing a military ID. For more information, visit www.BHIAmericanaWeekend.com or call Bald Head Island Limited at 910-269-2790.
Rent your Memorial Day weekend accommodations through Bald Head Island Limited and enjoy 15% off your vacation rental plus two free tickets to the Americana Music Festival.
Sponsors for the Bald Head Island Americana Music Weekend include Island Passage, Riverside Adventure Company, The BrandBoat, Beat Magazine, Sounds Barrier Music and Bald Head Island Limited.
Bald Head Island is a second home and vacation community located just off the coast of Southport, N.C. With no bridge connecting the island to the mainland, visitors take a 20-minute ferry ride across the Cape Fear. Because there are no cars allowed, the favored method of on-island transport is electric cart, bicycle, or walking. Bald Head Island has been thoughtfully developed and retains much of its wild beauty. Of the island’s 12,000 acres, 10,000 have been permanently preserved and will never be developed. To learn more about Bald Head Island, visit www.baldheadisland.com.
Star in a Book with Pirates: With last weekend’s opening of “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” and with the N.C. Maritime Museum’s exhibit opening June 11 featuring artifacts recovered from Blackbeard’s actual ship, the Queen Anne’s Revenge, found off the NC coast, pirate fever is in the air. So, pirate-lovers everywhere can star in a romance novel with their sweetie while running into the likes of Blackbeard, Calico Jack Rackham and even Johnny Depp himself, between the pages of a personalized novel.
YourNovel.com, has been penning personalzed romance-adventure books since 1992 that any couple can star in together. And four of those novels feature appearances by swashbucklers of old:
• Love’s Bounty: An Outer Banks Romance, set on the barrier islands of North Carolina, features not only an appearance by the ghost of Blackbeard but a retelling of his demise and beheading at Ocracoke Island (and yes, Blackbeard is the antagonist in the new “Pirates” movie);
• YourNovel.com’s eBook novella Great Exuma is set on the Bahamian islands of Great Exuma and Little Exuma, where parts of two of the “Pirates” movies were filmed. In that book, the starring couple runs into Johnny Depp, who, in real life owns a nearby private island;
• High Seas Romance is set in the 19th century with a hero from the British Royal Navy. He runs into pirates on the high seas, and the heroine is no shrinking violet, either;
• Negril Everlasting is set in modern-day Jamaica and centers on the possibility that notorious pirates Calico Jack Rackham and Anne Bonney may have found a treasure worth more than gold.
If you enjoyed this story, you might also enjoy:
• Other stories by Kathy M. Newbern, Luxury Travel Examiner
• International travel stories by Newbern and Fletcher
• Stories by JS Fletcher, International Travel Examiner
Luxury Travel Examiner Kathy M. Newbern and spouse, J.S. Fletcher, report on luxury destinations, spas and cruising around the globe. They are award-winning members of the Society of American Travel Writers and createdYourSpaReport.com and YourNovel.com, their personalized romance novel business.