Generally when the CDC comes out with public announcements about emergency preparedness, one would most likely think they were referring to natural disasters, epidemics or even just good advice about how to best prevent you from getting the flu. However, all bets are off now as they have launched their new campaign warning the general public about what precautions to take if and when zombies were to take over.
That’s right – I said zombies!
Because of the radiation scares resulting from destruction of the nuclear power plants in Japan recently, one of the fears out there being addressed by the Assistant Surgeon General is that of the possibility of a zombie outbreak.
He states that the general public will want to be ready for anything that may occur and certainly, a flesh eating zombie takeover is not out of the question!
The precautions are similar to that which one would take if, for say, they were preparing for a hurricane. The CDC says that you want to stock up on non-perishable food items, water and other necessities as well as board up your home. CDC spokesperson Dave Daigle states that, while this may all seem like a joke to some, it’s all really about being prepared for any type of emergency. The zombies he speaks about would be not unlike those seen in popular Hollywood movies such as “Dawn of the Dead”.
Is this guy for real? Is there really a chance that you could be attacked by flesh eating zombies that were once people like you and I but for some reason, because of excessive radiation exposure perhaps, they turn into these vile, almost indestructible creatures?
He says that the point of it is to create awareness about emergency preparedness and that more people will pay attention to this issue when something ridiculous like zombies are the topic versus something mundane like hurricanes or the bird flu.
I would say that if zombies were to take over the planet, here are some general guidelines to follow:
1) If you pay attention to the movies, when a zombie apocalypse is about to occur, the best thing you can have is a shotgun with an endless supply of shells. When you see a zombie approaching, aim for the head.
2) Anyone bit by a zombie is always going to turn into one so you might as well just shoot them in the head right away.
3) Telephone, internet and TV will not work as they will be interrupted by zombie sabotage. The best means of communication are large signs with big writing on them, or spray painting the roof of a house or building stating “SOS” or “ALIVE INSIDE”. That way, the military helicopters will be able to spot you.
4) Zombies are very strong so do not try to apprehend one or wrestle one to the ground. They will most likely eat your brains or at least bite you and then you will soon turn into a flesh eating zombie yourself.
5) Only associate with others who are level-headed and who are preferably heavily armed. Anyone else is just a liability.
Hopefully these basic rules will help you in being prepared to ward off a potential attack during a “zombie apocalypse”.
If you are in need of anymore general information on this topic, don’t hesitate to reference the CDC as they are experts in the area of emergency preparedness. Also, watching the original “Night of the Living Dead” will help as well.