There are special benefits to buying plants at local plant sales. Large botanical gardens such as Fairchild Tropcial Garden, Flamingo Gardens have several a year. Other venues include parks such as Heratige Park in Plantation, Bonnet House in Fort Lauderdale, Deerfield Beach Arboretum in Deerfileld Beach, and Bounts Botanical Garden in West Palm Beach.
Top reasons to consider purchasing some of your garden plants at plant sales:
- Buy all your plants at one place. This saves time and gas, two commodities we all can use more of. In order to drive to all the nurseries at the plant show, it would take days. Some of the vendors come from another county, state, or even another country. It would take countless weekends to visit all of the nurseries present at the sale. The cost to travel to another state or country would add up quickly into thousands of dollars. Plus homeowners are not permitted to transport plants from one country to another.
- You also get to buy from other plant related vendors. Unusual plant containers, special fertilizer blends, tools and gizmos are avaialble for sale. Many of these items are hard to find and are not available at the big box garden stores.
- Rare opportunities to buy plants from sources that are not available all year long. There are nurseries present that are ususally wholesale only. They do not open their business to the general public. Some of the of the vendors are plant clubs, and do not have a retail nursery. The plant clubs only sell at the fairs to raise money and awareness of their club. Rare plants are sold at plant sales that are not available at the big box garden centers. This is the time to buy hard to find specialty plants that are hard to find. Note: these plants may be difficult to propagate or in short supply, so prices may be higher than what you are accustomed to pay. It is well worth the extra money to buy these plants.
- Learn a great deal about the plant before you buy it. There is wonderful information on how to grow the plants and have success with them. Often the growers will be the ones selling, so you can learn all their secrets to keep the plants alive. They have detailed knowledge about what to expect and how big the plants will grow and when to fertilize.
- Network with other gardeners and find out about plant meetings around town. Utilize the opportunity to find out about plant societies and where they meet. Get on e mail lists for plant meeting schedules. Make lasting contacts for future buying opportunities.
- Join the Garden of Eden Forum, an online community to comment, ask questions, learn, and socialize.
Love to garden or read about gardens? Enjoy gorgeous slide shows? Please enjoy the following articles.
Secret Gardens # 9
Superstar Fruit Starfruit
Largest Floating Garden in the World
Grand tropical interiorscape of Donald Trump’s Residential Tower Trump Royale
Please subscribe to Robert Bornstein’s articles for free my clicking on subscribe and providing your e mail address.
Follow my new Garden/Food TV show on YouTube
Follow me on twitter.
Like my garden page on Facebook.
Follow me on Google+
Follow me on Pinterest
Enjoy healthy chocolate and start a business