Students will be returning to school in the next few weeks. Norfolk city will be returning between 33,000 to 34,000 students based on an average student count from the Department of Education Norfolk city school report card. The summer will be coming to an end. Students will be starting another new journey with many experiences. Before that journey begins, Parents, you will be preparing ‘Back to School – To Do’ lists.
There will be at least two lists. There will be the ‘New Clothes’ list and the ‘School Supply’ List. The purpose of the ‘New Clothes’ list is to buy clothes either because your child(ren)’s clothes are too small or just want them to have something new for their new journey. Your list will probably consist of the new style pants, colorful shirts and name brand shoes with matching accessories like earrings, watches, hats, handbags and back packs. Let’s not forget the newest and most popular hairstyle or cut.
Next, you need to get supplies for your child(ren)’s classes, so they can participate and effectively learn their subjects. You will receive a list of supplies for the school in which your child will be attending. The list usually consists of loose-leaf paper, notebook, specific size binder, writing instruments (i.e. pens, pencil, markers, highlighters), glue, ruler, calculator, poster board, etc. While you are shopping for school supplies, check out a sale at Office Depot starting July 31, 2011 as provided by afrugalchick.com (a local shopping resource).
Now, you might have other ‘To-Do’ lists to prepare your child(ren) for school which have not mentioned. However, do you have a ‘To –Do’ list for yourself? You are probably saying “What List? I do not need a list for myself”. Well, Yes you do. That list should be called the ‘Parent Supply’ list. The purpose of the list is for you, the parent, to prepare yourself for Back to School (and throughout the school year). The ‘Parent Supply’ list should consist of the things you need to get or do, so you are prepared for your child(ren) to have a successful school year. This list can assist in making school life progress more smoothly.
The list should consist of:
- Spiral notebook and writing instrument (or electronic note-taking device)
- Principal, Assistant Principal, Guidance Counselor and Secretary’s name and phone
- Copy of your child(ren)’s class schedule
- List of all your child(ren)’s teacher’s name and course they teach
- Teacher’s contact information (phone number and email address)
- Read each class syllabus
- Get access to online grading systems, if applicable in your school, and use it daily (this system will show you your child(ren)’s progress in class)
- Talk to each teacher on a regular basis. If the teacher does not call you, then you call them
- Ask your child(ren) every day about homework, projects and tests (actually look at it and review it with your child(ren))
- Attend all parent/teacher conferences
- Always confer with teachers on any concerns or questions
- Visit classes unannounced to your child (please notify the teacher out of respect)
- Get to know about any extracurricular activities for your child(ren) to be involved and be active citizens
- Read all communications from the school
- Patience, Make Time, Listen and Consistently talk
Wow, the parent’s list is longer than the clothes and supply list. You might even think of more to add to the list. Consequently, the Parent Supply list is important and relevant to the success of your child(ren)’s school year. Now, your child(ren) might not think so, but at the end of the day your child(ren) is closer to being a productive citizen because of your participation in their life.
The 1960’s song using the lyrics ‘It Takes Two…’ by Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston is absolutely relevant today. The words ‘It Takes Two’ – Child(ren) + Parents = High potential and a Valuable Quality of Life.