In Monday’s episode of Switched at Birth Marlee Matlin made her first appearance as Melody. Her role is that of a guidance counselor and substitute basketball coach at Daphne’s school, Regina’s best friend, and Emmett’s (Daphne’s best friend) mother. Thus far she is slated to appear in three episodes, but she commented in an interview with DaemonsTV.com that if the show “does well,” she would anticipate making more appearances.
In this first appearance we find her in the gymnasium at Daphne’s practice and is amused to watch as John stumbles through his explanation of who he is to Daphne. Regina had already told her everything about their situation. But a lot happened in this hour of ABC Family drama, so let’s get to the highlights.
Highlights from Portrait of My Father:
~ Regina and Kathryn: These women turned a real corner in this episode, as they are both clearly making an effort to respond more positively to each other, rather than automatically sniping.
- Regina doesn’t argue when Kathryn asks everyone to tell a “vague version of the truth,” rather than telling everyone that the girls were switched at birth.
- Regina okayed the results of Kathryn’s shopping spree for Daphne, rather than shutting her down.
- Kathryn holds back any comments about Regina operating her at-home salon out of the guest house and gets her hooked up to rent a chair/booth at the salon she goes to.
- The moms actually have a genuine heart-to-heart and Kathryn reveals that she’s worried if they tell their friends the truth that they will treat not only Bay differently, but her as well. Kathryn prides herself on being a good mom, but she feels like it’s her fault that she didn’t realize she was raising someone else’s daughter.
- After all of her worries about just telling people what actually happened, at the end of the episode, she tells her friend who responds with a surprising show of support.
~ Bay: The thread that runs through the episode is Bay’s desire to find out about her biological father. It’s clear that Bay is feeling misplaced – like she’s not quite sure where she belongs.
- Regina isn’t eager to talk about him and tells Bay the best thing he did for them was leaving. According to SpoilerTV, Gilles Marini (Brothers and Sisters) has signed on as Bay’s birth father and will be making his appearance in the season one finale.
- Daphne has no information for Bay either, but does give her a picture of Regina when she was pregnant with Bay. “That’s you in there.”
- The back story of Bay’s biological father continues to be cloaked in mystery when, Regina’s mom, Adriana, tells her that things were “so bad for both of them,” and she won’t even tell Bay his name.
- To compound Bay’s feelings of not belonging, she is hurt when she finds out her parents are pursuing a lawsuit against the hospital. She feels like it’s them saying they wish they hadn’t been “stuck with Bay.”
- Big brother Toby manages to comfort her in two sentences, “…Sometimes you are so mom. There’s a lot more of her in you than you know.” It’s that connection she needs.
~ Daphne: Has managed to almost seamlessly find her footing in being part of both of her families. However, she’s basically just gone with the flow thus far, but in Monday’s episode she took a stand.
- Not wanting to disappoint her dad, Daphne struggles with telling him no when she needs to be doing her homework.
- However, after John crosses the line with Melody at practice, she hands the clipboard over to him and he takes over coaching the team. He’s very hard on Daphne and she eventually blows up and walks out of practice.
- This blow up led to some honest communication between the two, and inspired Daphne to give Liam another chance after he failed to stand up for her when his idiot friends were making fun of her in the last episode. In the previews, we see that Bay and Daphne finally discover that Daphne has been seeing Bay’s ex-boyfriend. Bay is less than thrilled.
~ Regina and Melody: Giving us the friendship between Melody and Regina, we finally get our first real look at how Regina feels about getting to know Bay, as she’s been far more reserved than Kathryn has been. She tells Melody that she’s enjoying being “the cool mom” and that she’s afraid that once Bay gets to know “the real me,” she’ll be disappointed.
There has been a lot of progress made by everyone involved in this situation, but there are definitely many hurdles left to tackle. How long will the tentative peace between Kathryn and Regina last? Remember, Kathryn thinks Regina is hiding something – could it have to do with Bay’s biological father? We’ll have to keep tuning in to find out.
Switched at Birth airs Mondays after The Secret Life of the American Teenager on ABC Family at 9 pm / 8 c.
Cast of Switched at Birth:
Vanessa Marano……Bay Kennish
Katie Leclerc……….Daphne Vasquez
Lea Thompson………Kathryn Kennish
D.W. Moffett………..John Kennish
Constance Marie……Regina Vasquez
Lucas Grabeel……….Toby Kennish
Sean Berdy………….Emmett Bledsoe
Don’t miss out on any of our TV mom lessons, hit the subscribe button following this article to receive free e-mail notifications. You can also keep up with me on Facebook, Twitter @TVMoms101, and GoogleBuzz.