Well, I don’t think anyone could have predicted that Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina would be the final two of this season on American Idol, but here they are. On the very last night of competition, these two teenage country crooners faced off against one another in a battle for this season’s biggest honor: the American Idol.
Apparently, news broke that Lauren was having trouble with her voice this afternoon during rehearsal. Ryan Seacrest even brought out a Doctor to discuss Lauren “blowing out” one of her vocal cords. She was given plenty of medicine and should be fine for all three songs of tonight’s performances, according to this gentleman.
During the three rounds of competition, each contestant would sing their favorite song from this season, a song chosen by each of their own idols, (Carrie Underwood for Lauren and George Strait for Scotty), and the single each of them will sing if they win the competition.
Scotty McCreery: “Gone”
- This was a very wise song choice by Scotty – it is actually my favorite performance of his this season! Nice work!
- The girls went crazy and screamed the entire performance. They literally didn’t stop the whole time.
- No commentary from the judges – “No time!” said Ryan Seacrest.
Lauren Alaina: “Flat on the Floor”
- Lauren picked my favorite song of her’s this season to sing as well. Smart kids, these two.
- Lauren’s voice is already hoarse/a bit raspy to begin with, but you could definitely tell her voice wasn’t quite perfect during the song.
Scotty McCreery: George Strait “Check Yes or No”
- At this point, what can you really say about Scotty? He’s consistently the same and just as good week after week.
Lauren Alaina: Pam Tillis “Maybe it Was Memphis”
- I’m not much of a country fan, so I’d never heard of the song before, but it definitely suited Lauren, and she did well.
Ryan brought Scotty back out to get some comments from the judges. Randy said things are pretty much even after the first two rounds. He gave the first round to Scotty and the second round to Lauren. Jennifer agreed with Randy and basically echoed all of his comments. Steven gave both rounds to Lauren because she is prettier than Scotty. Randy added “Most importantly, they are both in it to win it!” It wouldn’t be a show without it.
They debuted the song viewers at home helped to write for Taio Cruz.
Jimmy Iovine revealed the singles for each contestant that will be released if they win.
Scotty McCreery: “I Love You This Big”
- As Scotty sang this slow love song, a montage of his moments on American Idol played on the background behind him.
- He did a great job singing the song, but I found the “This big” to get a bit tiresome after being repeated multiple times.
- Randy marvelled in the fact that they have the two youngest finalists from the country genre, he loved the performance and song for Scotty. Oh, and Scotty is in it to win it. JLo thought he did an amazing job, and Steven said he nailed it again.
Lauren Alaina: “Like My Mother Does”
- Have no fear: Lauren got a montage as well.
- Since the song was about about a mother, so Lauren went down and hugged her mom and sang to her for a moment.
- Randy said, “Lauren Alaina has arrived America – that was amazing!” JLo said it was a tight race, but Lauren might have just won. Steven thinks America is going to find Lauren to be their American Idol, as she is in his eyes.
Ryan brought Scotty back out and asked the judges who round three went to. Randy gave a slight edge to Lauren, Jennifer said it is a tight race and America has a tough decision, while Steven said it was Lauren, hands down.
Who do you think it will be? Is the next American Idol going to be Scotty or Lauren? Leave a comment below to give your opinion! As for me? Sure seems like the show wants a younger version of Carrie Underwood to win it this year. But, that’s all I’ll say!
Follow me on Twitter, visit my Facebook page, or subscribe to my articles to receive notification every time a new entry is published! You can also check out my new personal blog here. =)