Tonight the two-night finale of American Idol begins, and it has come down to Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina. The finale of Idol is always a star-studded extravaganza, with many captivating performances. Many of the season’s earlier contestants will be back while Scotty and Lauren try to capture your votes. While the producers of American Idol do a great job at keeping some surprises under wraps, here are some of the things you should expect from Tuesday and Wednesday night’s performances:
- Scotty and Lauren will each perform three songs Tuesday night.
- One song will be their favorite from earlier this season, another will be chosen by someone else (originally said to be show creator Simon Fuller), and the last will be a song the contestant hopes to record after the show.
- While Scotty won the coin toss so he could choose whether to perform first or second, he decided to be a gentleman and let Lauren pick her spot. She has chosen to perform second.
- Sources say that Scotty’s third song is called “Love You This Big” while Lauren’s is called “Like My Mother Does.”
- Apparently Carrie Underwood is helping Lauren with her song choices and George Straight is helping Scotty with his. It is thought these choices are for the songs originally slated to be picked by Simon Fuller.
- Carrie Underwood has hinted that the song she chose for Lauren is one she herself wanted to sing while she was on Idol, but never had the opportunity to do.
- Bono and The Edge from U2 are apparently performing this week. They are said to be performing songs from the Broadway musical “Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark.” Is it said that cast member Reeve Carney and others from the show will be performing with them.
- This season’s “Top 13” will return to sing.
- While Aerosmith had been largely rumored to be appearing, they say that is not the case – and that they were never asked. Many are hoping Steven Tyler will at least sing, perhaps with James Durbin, but that is uncertain.
- Season 7 winner David Cook will be performing “Don’t You (Forget About Me),” a remake of the 1985 Simple Minds song.
- Lady Gaga will be returning to perform.
- It had been rumored that last season’s Idol winner Lee DeWyze would be performing, but he says that is not the case.
- Idol runner-up Adam Lambert is expected to be at the finale.
- Reportedly Charice from Glee will be singing with Idol finalist Pia Toscano.
Oftentimes in past finales the contestants have been paired up with established artists to sing duets. Fans have already been told that Casey Abrams will be singing with Jack Black, but so far the rest of the performances are under wraps. Have you read any rumors? Who are you most excited to see perform this week?
American Idol airs its season finale episodes Tuesday and Wednesday night at 7 p.m. on Fox, Channel 10 in the Scottsdale area.
American Idol Net
Let me know what you think – comment at the bottom of this page.
To have the latest news delivered right to your email, be sure to subscribe to this page.
Join me on Facebook or Twitter for more!