Side dishes are often overlooked and seen only as , something to fill out the plate and an after thought to the main dish. However, a well thought out and prepared side dish can elevate a plain meal to something special. This is one of those dishes. It goes best with Pork or Poultry, but it can be served with most meat dishes.
ALMOND CANDIED CARROTS
- two medium sized carrots cut into1/4” slices on the bias .(cut at a 45 degree angle to expose more of the3 tender inner carrot.)
- Two to four oz. Marsala or sherry wine.
- One cap full almond extract
- two ounces sliced almonds
- Three dashes powered cinnamon, two dashes each ginger and nutmeg.
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- one teaspoon margarine
- 0ne teaspoon dried parsley
In a medium sized saute pan melt the margarine over medium high heat and add the carrots. Sprinkle with the dried herbs,all except the dried parsley and a little salt and pepper.
Saute for a few minutes then add the wine and Almond extract. Add just enough wine to partially cover the carrots. Since carrots are not all of a uniform size this may not take all the wine listed in the list of ingredients and should be added by eye. Continue cooking until the carrots are all done and the wine has reduced somewhat. Sprinkle in the brown sugar while stirring in order to melt the suger until the sauce thickens, again by eye, and it may take less sugar than listed.
Remove from heat and lightly sprinkle in the dried parsley for color.