Located in Lebanon, CT, the Majestic Waterfowl Sanctuary is one of the largest facility of its kind in the United States devoted to the care of domestic ducks and geese. Not only does the sanctuary have experienced rescuers on staff, it also offers excellent medical care. As a result here are ten reasons why anyone interested in adding a duck or goose to their family should consider adopting one from them first:
1. Majestic Waterfowl Sanctuary quarantines their birds for a minimum of 14 days before allowing them to co-mingle with their existing flock or listing them available for adoption.
2. Fecal exams are performed on all incoming waterfowl to ensure they are parasite free. Random fecal tests are also done periodically to ensure the continued health of their rescues. In addition, all ducks and geese are given a precautionary delousing treatment within 24 hours of arriving at our sanctuary and a second treatment on their 14th day here.
3. Majestic takes bio-security very seriously and utilize vet-recommended Virkon S as a safe disinfecting solution in our pens.
4. In order to maintain Connecticut’s strict level of bio-security, all waterfowl arriving from out-of-state locations have tested negative for Avian Influenza (H5 & H7 strains) prior to entry into our sanctuary, per the guidance of our State Vet.
5. The staff works with an experienced, certified veterinarian to ensure that any waterfowl needing medical attention or precursory exams get that attention within a day of their arrival. Medical records are kept for all of their waterfowl and are made available to adopters upon request.
6. All the ducks and geese there are all maintained on a diet of fresh, top-of-the-line Mazuri Waterfowl brand-name feed. Healthy greens are supplemented in colder seasons.
7. The private grounds are kept clean and safe, and their enclosures resemble habitats and ensure serene and comfortable conditions for all of our waterfowl. Calm, stress-free birds are more adaptable to new situations, making transitions to your family easier on them and on you.
8. The sanctuary provides free post-adoption assistance and support, and will respond to most inquiries within 24 hours of receipt.
9. Majestic will take back any of their adopted waterfowl without question, should your situation change or should the adoption not work out for any reason.
10. They distribute a monthly informational newsletter that addresses common flock issues.
In addition to the above, the Majestic Waterfowl Sanctuary is in the process of offering offer duck and goose-sitting services. Those families who adopt their birds from us will receive a deposit-free contract and discounted rates when they need a sitter.
Please note that Majestic is not licensed to handle any wild waterfowl including mallards, Canada geese,or swans. Anyone needing assistance with wild waterfowl shoulde contact your local veterinarians or pet supply stores for the names of certified wildlife rehabbers in your area. In addition. “a duck or goose who needs rescuing is a bird that is NOT in your custody. Any waterfowl already in your care, no matter the circumstance, are considered an owner surrender.”
Visit the Majestic Waterfowl Sanctuary at 17 Barker Rd., Lebanon, CT 06249.Majestic does not accept incoming phone calls. For more information on how to contact them visit http://majesticwaterfowl.org/contactus.htm