When one parent stays home with the kids and the other one works outside of the home, it is no longer assumed that the father will be the one working outside of the home. Many households now have SAHD (Stay at Home Dads).
Because of this growing trend, you are finding more sites on the internet that provide camaraderie and resources for these men.
- AtHomeDad.org This site was started by one stay-at-home dad and now has developed into a nonprofit organization that provides a connecting spot for at-home dads around the world. They have online discussions, recipes, local groups and many other resources.
- AtHomeDad.com – This site has a number of interesting features. There is a blog and a message board. There are pages for locating other at-home dad playgroups. It also contains links to a number of dad related blogs.
- DaddysHome.org – The National At-Home Dad Network is a non-profit organization that focuses on providing support and connection for stay-at-home dads. They sponsor and encourage local networking groups and also host an annual convention, just for SAHD’s.
- DadStaysHome.com – If you’re looking for a forum to be a part of, this site fits the bill. The forum has several sections: Advice from Dads for Dads; Work from Home; DIY Dads; Trade Ya; Tech Tips; Sports Talk; Book Club and a few more.
- StayAtHomeDad.blogspot – If you’d prefer to simply read the ramblings of another SAHD, blogs are a good place for that. This blog is written by an SAHD from the UK, who is also a writer. This means, that you will likely find his posts fun and easy to read.
- SAHDinLansing.com – This is another blog by an SAHD. This dad is located in Michigan. He has plenty to share about his days with his little girl and other projects that he is connected to.
- Fatherville.com – “Where Real Fathers Write About Real Fatherhood” is how the tagline reads for this site. This site is not just for SAHD’s, but it does have a special section just for them. Its other sections include: New Dads; Fathers of Teens; Dads of Faith; and Financially Smart Dads.
- ModernDayDad.com – A freelance writer and photographer, this SAHD blogger is happy to share his opinions with you about a number of subjects. He has addressed many controversial questions like: “Will stay-at-home-dads go to hell?” and “Do belt loops require a belt?”
- AManAmongMommies.com – This SAHD blogger is also a work-at-home-dad. He has a great sense of humor, and shares with honesty, the ups and downs of being a SAHD for several years.
- Always Home and Uncool – One final SAHD blogger to add to the list. His tagline reads: Father, Husband, Writer, Goofball. Order subject to change. Another talented writer who is sharing his words via the internet. His wife is referred to as ‘My Love’ and his two kids as ‘Thing One’ and ‘Thing Two’.
Feelings of isolation are a common issue mentioned among stay-at-home-dads. A more prevalent problem with SAHD’s than SAHM’s because the number of SAHD’s are so much smaller. All of these sites and blogs are placed on the internet by other men wanting to help provide the connection they all need.
Source: Internet Service Providers
St. Augustine offers “In A Child’s Life” formerly Dad’s Club Inc, challenges you to make a difference in a child’s life. This website and organization helps families become more engaged in their life at home, school, as well as in their community. Visit their site today.